Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tail Gunner Joe

Will the new UAL be bigger than DAL? Maybe, Maybe not

the upper range increasing the mainline fleet to about 750 aircraft from today’s 692, while the lower range reduces the mainline carrier to about 550 airframes. With 152 aging United Airbus narrowbodies joining some 200 Next Generation Boeing 737s in Continental colors, can we read anything into the new company’s decision to retain the Houston-based airline’s livery with just a name change?.

Source:
Merger Leaves Questions Unanswered

Everyone is gunning for you when you're the biggest...UAL is welcome to the "largest airline in the world" title as far as I'm concerned.

I for one couldn't care less if we are bigger or smaller than Delta. That has nothing to do with the success of the airline and the dollar amount of my paycheck.

with tiltons hand in this it won't go well...CO and UA couldn't be more different, the only way this will work short and long term is to completely drop all UA culture, mentality, corporate culture, basically all things UA. Reel that scope back in, and if they want to add 30 seat turbo props, 50 seat RJ's or 90 seat RJ's let them--but they are all flown by mainline.

I don't see how the scope can be reeled in much at all. Does anyone know if the pilots can scuttle the merger by not agreeing to anything that has outside carriers flying larger than 50 seat jets? How will a new contract be ratified- meaning will all the pilots at both airlines vote altogether which could mean with more United pilots overall that they could mostly vote yes, the Continental pilots could mostly vote no, and then it is ratified without the good scope protections if poor scope is what is in the offered contract?

And I almost forgot- my D*@K is bigger than yours, so there!

Last edited:
I don't see how the scope can be reeled in much at all. Does anyone know if the pilots can scuttle the merger by not agreeing to anything that has outside carriers flying larger than 50 seat jets? How will a new contract be ratified- meaning will all the pilots at both airlines vote altogether which could mean with more United pilots overall that they could mostly vote yes, the Continental pilots could mostly vote no, and then it is ratified without the good scope protections if poor scope is what is in the offered contract?

And I almost forgot- my D*@K is bigger than yours, so there!

And the reason we United pilots would want to do that is............?

Much calmer heads than your will prevail despite any "size" issues you may have.

I'm not trying to say United pilots would vote for a crappy contract, but they already have lots and lots of 70 seaters and Continental pilots may be willing to say no to that even with a greatly improved contract in other areas than scope. My question is if management won't find a way to lower the 70 seat numbers and allow nothing new over 50 seats for the codeshares, could the higher numbers at United outvote the Continental pilots and get them together even though the Continental pilots overall vote against it? I am plenty calm about this all- I don't work for either company and I am just curious. The size part of my response was prodding everyone who thinks their airline must be better if it is bigger. I guess I'll use emoticons to express a lack of seriousness next time.

I'm not trying to say United pilots would vote for a crappy contract, but they already have lots and lots of 70 seaters and Continental pilots may be willing to say no to that even with a greatly improved contract in other areas than scope. My question is if management won't find a way to lower the 70 seat numbers and allow nothing new over 50 seats for the codeshares, could the higher numbers at United outvote the Continental pilots and get them together even though the Continental pilots overall vote against it? I am plenty calm about this all- I don't work for either company and I am just curious. The size part of my response was prodding everyone who thinks their airline must be better if it is bigger. I guess I'll use emoticons to express a lack of seriousness next time.

In theory you are correct the United pilots could control the vote. However unless we really screw this up like Usair/AWA I would not think the vote would go UAL one way/ CO the other. The ideoligist (is that a word) in me likes to think we will be on the same page.

As for the "size" thing, I tried to follow your humor by using a pun in the sentence, but it obviously didn't work.

Latest resources

Back