• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jaywc7

Typical Prop Head
First of all - Hello to everyone.

After a little sifting through these forums, I've decided to post...

I'm looking for any advice & thoughts (good & bad), and here's my story so far :

Started at St. Cloud State University Aviaion program in Minnesota. After nearly completing my BS degree, obtaining my Multi-Private, and somewhere around 350 hours, I decided to look elsewhere. Although SCSU is a great program, it just didn't work well for me.

Knowing I can finish my 4yr BS with a couple online courses, I set off to find somewhere to get my dang ratings. I was hoping to do it fast. My good friend cautioned me that accelerated flight training can be "easy come easy go". Regardless - I began looking online. I found many places, and had a hard time distinguishing between them and their programs.

I finally settled on Regional Airline Academy (Arizona Campus) www.raajobs.com
I didn't know what to expect, but packed my belongings in my parents basement, left my fiance` behind in Minnesota, and headed off to Arizona with nothing but hopes, dreams and my logbook.

I started at RAA in March in the instrument ground school. I was on pace to finish my instrument in about 6 weeks. I got a little behind though, and after a little trip back to MN, it turned into 3 months. I am now in the commercial ground school (which I took 141 at SCSU but oh well) and am working on my commecial in a Seneca. My plans here are to finish the multi-commercial, study and complete the ATP written, enter the RAA FOS course, and complete the scheduled CRJ Type Rating at CAE in Denver. I'm expecting to have this done before the year is out.

I do know that RAA's employment placement is somewhere in the 97-99% range. My two roommates whom I lived with in March completed the FOS course and the Type Rating at CAE and just got hired within the past week. Everyone I know who went through the program here immediately got their guarunteed interviews, and got hired in a reasonable time. RAA has some alliances with various regional carriers. I'm not sure of the whole list, but I know it includes PSA, Pinacle, Express Jet, American Eagle, Colgan, Air Wisconsin, and a bunch more. I think the majority of the alliances require something like : 500TT, 100M & the Type Rating. This seems like a really good thing to me, since I will be finishing the program with those minimums for sure.

Hopefully then, after I get hired somewhere, I can finish my couple online courses and recieve my degree as well. I've heard that as long as you can fly the simulator,,, it's just the person sitting on the other side of the table looking at you, saying to themselves, "Would I enjoy a few hours flying, with this guy riding right seat?"

Please - give me your comments and advice. I'm sure there are things I've missed, decisions I've made wrong, time I've spent poorly (and money), and many other things. Just give me your honest opinion what you think I've done right, or discussion about how I may better my future in the aviation industry.

Thank you

~j

Only one question.

Why would you spend soooo much money to get an interview (not a job just an interview) for a job that pays soooo little?

jaywc7 said:
I'm sure there are things I've missed, decisions I've made wrong, time I've spent poorly (and money)
~j

Yes. Yes. Yes.

You should have stayed at St. Cloud and finsihed your degree. One person I know of from there was in my upgrade class and had nothing but good to say about it.

Get that 4 year. Not getting it was your first and only mistake, as what you did after was a result of that tragic error.

For the most part, buying type ratings is a waste of money, unless you're collecting them for the sake of collecting them. Let the airline that hires you pay for your type rating. You need time in the type for the type rating to count for anything, and you won't get that from a type rating mill.

In glancing over their first office school a few things come to mind.
1) I didn't find a price shown, not that I looked very hard, but I would bet good money that you could have gone through part 61 and accumulated enough time and ratings to get an interview for a LOT less money.

2) The airline interview prep: you can get a couple interview prep books from a library and save more money.

3) Aerodynamics, Instrument Proficiency, Situational Awareness: by the time you would enroll in the first officer school, you should already know/have these, shouldn't need a ground school to teach them to you.

Anyway I've always been of the opinion that you don't have to go to a "first officer school". The airline that hires you will train you.

Well - I've certainly heard many times that there's no need to pay for a type rating. As far as the FOS course goes - it's certainly knowledge that can be obtained through books alone. The main few things I see here are #1 - Alliances that take pilots through the program with 500 hours vs. 1500!!! #2 - Networking benefits since the guys puting in the applications are very experienced retired airline pilots and such. #3 - I don't want to be a CFI despite the benefits, which I'm well aware of. It seems like a waste of time to me... #4 - It's really hard to turn down a 100% Interview rate, and a 98% hire rate!!! I tend to think they're doing something right... And lastly - I did the WHOLE aviation program at SCSU, and only need like 3 elective courses to obtain my 4 year BS degree - so I didn't really quit, I just am going to finish once I have a job and some income... The other side is - yes it is too much money (and no I don't have it - it's all loans), but if the program works as it has proved in the past, I will get a job much much sooner. It just seems to me that getting on the list early will yield more money faster, despite the loans. The way I see it - I need to get in as soon as possible, get through probation, and just get going flying...

I am keeping an open mind, and hope to see some comments that will help me. So far though with what I've seen - I'm still convinced this is a good choice.

Thanks! Keep em' commin'!

ya im training for the regionals too

ps

friends dotn let frinds drunk and post

jaywc7 said:
and only need like 3 elective courses to obtain my 4 year BS degree - so I didn't really quit

Unfortunatly you will find that it is many, MANY times harder to go back and finish it rather than just spending one more term there and finishing it without stopping.

Another thing a lot of people don't understand is that loans are bad, and the less debt you have the easier EVERYTHING else will be, regardless of what you do for a living. Do whatever it takes to minimize the debt. Part 61 would have gotten you 1500 hours for less money than this program will get you 500.

Well,,, see the thing is that I had about 400 hours coming into this program that I basically flew myself. I didn't start from scratch here. I'm only flying about another 100, which includes my instrument, and my commercial and the level D simulator time at CAE. I actually figured out that the commercial here in the seneca is turning out cheaper then SCSU! Since I already got my complex and H/P when I was in MN, I am doing the commercial here part 61, not 141... As far as the school goes, I know that it can be more difficult to go back. The fact that I have only a couple classes (which can be done online is the key), I feel it was an option. Part of me wonders if I'll actually do better later with an online class, then sitting at SCSU anyways. I think maturity plays a role, and I definately screwed around plenty while at SCSU. The other thing, is that my fiance` went to SCSU, just graduated, and is now a Kindergarten teacher. I can't see myself sitting around SCSU without her there. Although I'm not with her right now since I'm in AZ and she's in MN, I thought I would like this soltitude better. ??? I do realize that debt sucks, and want to minimize it. The bigger thing in my mind however, is time. Despite the fact that 500 here MAY cost me more then 1500 elsewhere, it should get me the job faster. If I look at people who have no debt and worked their way through vs. people who bought their way through, I find this : When the person who spent the time, has little debt, and instructed finally gets in at whatever age they happen to be, how far will I be by that age if I get in at 23? I see too many people who get in the lull of instructing/holding another job, and can't or don't get out for whatever reason. I don't want to be reaching a regional anytime after 25...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back