New to Forum and Some ?'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aider

Hi everyone. I am probably the newest and least experienced pilot wannabe here but I have a few questions so I came here for answers.

First off my name is Nick and am 20 years old. I am starting my flight training and only have 2.8 real in C152/C172 dual, 1.0 in a friend's B60 Duke.

As for ground training I have completed courses at Metro State including Private Pilot Fundamentals, Aviation Weather, Commercial/Instrument Ground, Flight Sim I/II with 25 hours Frasca sim time.

I am taking off school to save money and catch up on "in-the-air" training. I am currently flying out of Key Lime Flights @ Centennial Airport (APA) in their 172s.

As for my questions... Regarding airpace and radio communications:

I'm not so confused on airspace classes, requirements to enter, etc, but as I am about the radio communications needed. We haven't gotten this far in training but went over it in school but I need a refresher.

APA is Class D. After I get ATIS and clearance from the tower for runway approval and departure clearance this is what I would think to do:

Fly runway heading (say 17L to 180 degrees, staying under Denver Class B floor @ 8000'. Now, tell me what needs to happen for VFR. Do I tell the tower where I am going even if it's VFR.

And when on arrival, I am still learning entry points. If I need to land 17L/R and am arriving from the south I need to contact tower at how many miles out, and enter midfield, then enter pattern at 6800' TPA. Then land after I am cleared or if pattern is empty.

Here are the arrival expectations:

W-Rwy 17L: Rgt dnwnd
W-Rwy 35R: Lft dnwnd

N-Rwy 17L: Strght-in
N-Rwy 35R: Rgt dnwnd-Rpt S of Cherry Creek Res.

E-Rwy 17L: Lft dnwnd
E-Rwy 35R: Rgt dnwnd-Rpt Parker/Arapahoe Road

S-Rwy 17L: Lft dnwnd-Rpt 4-mi SE
S-Rwy 35L/R: Strght-in

So, ATIS will tell me which runway I will need, confirm it will the tower, enter pattern @ midfield according to ATIS and arrival direction?

Sorry for the rambling!!!

I appreciate any help.

APA

I flew out of there quite a bit until I "retired" from aviation about eight years ago. I can tell you what I recall.

First off, do what your instructor tells you to do. Really, that's the best advice anyone can give, especially because you haven't really taken your first lesson yet.

I believe the procedure used to be that you would tell Ground which direction you're headed on initial callup. You might get a transponder code and departure control frequency on which to contact Denver Departure. If that happens, you just contact Departure. You don't want to bust the Class B floor. Study your sectional beforehand (does NOS still publish anything like the old TCA chart?). I also remember that there were some noise abatement procedures in effect on a 17L departure. You might check on those. A/FD might have them. Your school ought to have them. The neighbors to the south of the airport were real finnicky about noise at one time.

On return, contact tower at least 10 nm out. You don't want to bust the Class D. There are some well-known reporting points, such as The Pinery to the southeast. Then enter as directed by Tower. Once again, your instructor will help you.

APA is a nice airport from which to fly. Good luck with your training.

One suggestion, be careful who you give your name to on a public internet board. Most of us are pretty nice people, but there are some strange ones out there, and they might not have your best interests in mind.

That being said, just read everything you can on aviation. Take your time, study for the writtens, do what your instructor tells you to do, and you will do fine. I know that you want to learn everything in a hurry, but don't forget to learn the basics first. Don't try to go to fast, as this will just confuse you. Don't try to learn say, jet systems or other advanced stuff until you understand the aircraft you are flying now. Everything will come in time, and you have plenty of time. Listen more than you speak, and especially listen before you hit that mike button. Good luck, and welcome to the exciting world of aviation.

Latest resources

Back