• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Skywest mins....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The more I work as an FO, the more convinced I am that it's not the number of hours that dictates the pilot's level of skill. There are far more factors than just that. It's actually a little refreshing to see my company acknowledge that fact.

-Goose
You're right, it's not the number of hours, it's the quality of flight time that's important. The biggest problem I see with new FO's is radio communications. Often they're not aggressive enough in trying to get a call in (SLC ramp). IMO the best hours a flight instructor can get is working as a CFII doing the cross country flights into busy airports. There's only so much that can be learned teaching turns around a point and lazy 8's for 700 hours. Being a CFI will teach you a lot about being assertive in the cockpit and that will be a necessary skill once upgrading to captain. I hope the interviewers are taking a hard look at what type of flight time the lower hour applicants are getting.

Must be at least 21 years of age
Commerical Licencse
All applicants will need a current first class medical (which will be verified at your interview)
Must be a United States citizen or show proof of right to work in the US
Must be a United States citizen or show proof of right to work in the US
FCC Radio License
Current U.S. Passort
Willing to rescind seniority with current carrier

Somebody was in a rush to update the requirements page.

1. What is a "Commerical Licensce?"
2. How do I obtain a "Passort?"
...and you don't even need an Instrument Rating!!

You're right, it's not the number of hours, it's the quality of flight time that's important. The biggest problem I see with new FO's is radio communications. Often they're not aggressive enough in trying to get a call in (SLC ramp). IMO the best hours a flight instructor can get is working as a CFII doing the cross country flights into busy airports. There's only so much that can be learned teaching turns around a point and lazy 8's for 700 hours. Being a CFI will teach you a lot about being assertive in the cockpit and that will be a necessary skill once upgrading to captain. I hope the interviewers are taking a hard look at what type of flight time the lower hour applicants are getting.

I guess we aren't even considering Part 135 the step after CFI and before 121... things change don't they? Only 2 years ago going directly from a 172 to a regional was the exception!

Latest resources

Back