New security machine sees everything..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

... AND IS THAT A PEN IN YOUR POCKET OR..?
Special procedures may take on new meaning at Orlando International now
that it has been chosen as the test-base for the new Rapiscan Secure
1000 and other security devices. The machine uses low-energy X-rays to
see through your clothes, leaving only your body's outline ... every
last inch. We're not entirely sure of the clarity of the image, but the
Associated Press reports that officials have mandated that, among other
things, the machine only be operated by an individual of the same sex as
that of its subject. But there's more -- the Barringer Ionscan 400B is
also on hand at Orlando to sniff passengers for traces of 40 types of
explosives ... or 60 types of drug residue (screener's choice). Invasive
or safe, at least you won't be asked to turn your head and cough ... yet.

Okay, is this enough for everyone to agree that this security screening mess is getting out of hand? First the democrats had to make them federal employees, which makes them more powerful and impossible to fire, but now we have to have them seeing us nearly naked? What if the screener is my sex, but he's gay? I'm sorry, this is an unreasonable search, especially when I have to go through it to get to work...

We need to stop this madness. I can't believe that passengers will go for it either. I'm sure my congressman will find a way around it, when he or she goes on a commercial flight.

What?

What if the screener is my sex, but he's gay?

What the ?? I guess you think highly enough of yourself that he would be checking out your "packages"?

I am all for it. What I am also all for is a universal ID badge for crew that utlilizes some of the biometrics that keep being discussed. As far as I am concerned, we shouldn't even be going through security, as long as those measures are in place. Secure portals, only accessed with your fingerprints or a retinal scan. Let everyone else be dressed down, I don't trust half of the people I see in an airport!! :)

Hey,Ted,are you "all for" finding another job when 99% of your pax decide enough is enough ? I'd like to see your plan for selling them on a daily dose of x-rays."Everyone else" pays your salary and they DO care.

Yeah, we better shut all the airports down. Greyhound and Amtrak are such more reliable alternatives. OK, would you (as a passenger), rather be stripsearched (not figuratively) or go through an x-ray machine? As far as a daily dose, I think there are very few people that fly on a daily basis, other than crew. As far as crew, see my above post. What is the alternative? What we have going now sucks. How many times since 9/11 have they found the machines unplugged? How many times has someone gotten through with a knife, even a gun?

My post about not trusting "everyone else" was meant in a sarcastic way.

skydiverdriver said:
Okay, is this enough for everyone to agree that this security screening mess is getting out of hand? First the democrats had to make them federal employees, which makes them more powerful and impossible to fire, but now we have to have them seeing us nearly naked? What if the screener is my sex, but he's gay? I'm sorry, this is an unreasonable search, especially when I have to go through it to get to work...

We need to stop this madness. I can't believe that passengers will go for it either. I'm sure my congressman will find a way around it, when he or she goes on a commercial flight.

OMG, we actually agree on something, SDD!

We need to stop this madness. I have gotten used to the stuff we have now, but this new system is too much. A deffinite invasion in privacy IMO.

Also, what of the effect of those "low dose xrays" on those of us who pass through security more than the average person who travels once a week or less? What about those who have medical conditions or crewmembers with pregnancy?

I don't see this catching on. I hope not.

I'm sorta curious about what the long term effects are of going through those xrays a few times a day are also. Can't be good.

Hey guys,
not to burst your bubble but the limited amount of X-rays those machines deliver to us are nothing compared to the amount of rads we soak up during flight. There is some report that shows the lifetime amount of rads an individual soaks up (ie nuke plant worker, pilot, xray tech, coal miner). Don't forget your sunblock!!

We need that scanner they used in Total Recall :D .

IFF Quote :

"OMG, we actually agree on something, SDD! "

WOW! Did hell just freeze...?

"We need to stop this madness. I have gotten used to the stuff we have now, but this new system is too much. A deffinite invasion in privacy IMO. "

How is this an invasion of privacy in your opinion? It is an xray machine, not xray nudity glasses. Ever seen an xray of the hips and pelvic area? All you see is bone. Unless, your full of die so they can see other areas. Everyone has been screaming about new security measures that need to take place and now no one wants them or they are not politically correct.

"Also, what of the effect of those "low dose xrays" on those of us who pass through security more than the average person who travels once a week or less? What about those who have medical conditions or crewmembers with pregnancy? "

I would rase this question myself, but I think we half way have to trust that someone has already done testing to see if they are dangerous. I'm not one for sitting back and just believing they are safe or just believing the govnm't, but I'm sure there is documentation to show that the rad levels are acceptable. Lets not get too freaked out about this "new technology" just because it is new in this capacity.

"I don't see this catching on. I hope not."

I don't think it matters if it "catches on". Did metal detectors ever "catch on"? NO. It was just policy.

Would you rather be xray'd or hijacked?

Come on IFly, you usually have more of a solution to a problem than just complaining about a system.

Latest resources

Back