New Routes for SWA; info on RNP plans @ SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Southwest Airlines announced yesterday the addition of 33 new nonstop flights in 26 city-pairs across the nation, including brand new nonstop service between BWI and PIT, between DAL and BHM, between SAN and RNO, and between CLE and MCO. Southwest is expanding our route network and adding new flights in several other key Southwest cities as well.
Beginning March 11:
• Three new daily nonstop roundtrip flights between BWI and PIT
• Two new daily nonstop roundtrip flights between DAL and BHM
• Two new daily nonstop roundtrip flights between SAN and RNO
• Two new daily nonstop roundtrip flights between CLE and MCO
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between ABQ and LAS
(for a total of seven daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between BUF and MCO
(for a total of three daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between BUR and SMF
(for a total of 11 daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between GEG and OAK
(for a total of two daily).
• Two additional daily nonstop roundtrips between LAS and SJC
(for a total of nine daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between SMF and LAS
(for a total of eight daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between LAX and SLC
(for a total of five daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between LAX and TUS
(for a total of six daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between MCO and MHT
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between MCO and RSW
(for a total of four daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between MHT and PHL
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between PBI and PHL
• One additional daily nonstop between GEG and SMF
(for a total of seven daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between PHL and RDU
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between PHL and TPA
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between AUS and MDW
• Two additional daily nonstop roundtrip between DAL and STL
(for a total of eight daily).
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between MDW and SAN
Beginning March 17:
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between DEN and MDW
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between MDW and SEA
Beginning April 15:
• One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between LAS and MDW
(for a total of 12 daily).
Listened to one of the RNP experts yesterday & heard him discuss the future of RNP/RNAV approaches for SWA from the same company that does WestJet, Qantas, Air New Zealand....the savings in fuel alone will be in the $159 m arena....the routings to the runway would be meshed within any other routes of other carriers & would add to our bottom line in efficiency. The preciseness of the system meshes with our current NG fleet & the classic fleet will need some upgrades that will be paid for in a short period of time with the savings of the improved routings....not immediately but in the near future that will help us all. Times are achanging.

Listened to one of the RNP experts yesterday & heard him discuss the future of RNP/RNAV approaches for SWA from the same company that does WestJet, Qantas, Air New Zealand....the savings in fuel alone will be in the $159 m arena....the routings to the runway would be meshed within any other routes of other carriers & would add to our bottom line in efficiency. The preciseness of the system meshes with our current NG fleet & the classic fleet will need some upgrades that will be paid for in a short period of time with the savings of the improved routings....not immediately but in the near future that will help us all. Times are achanging.

You will get the benefit of 50 plus million we spent at Alaska to develop that and then instead of selling it to get the money back we gave it away....Some of our second floor pilots formed a company and our now selling it to other airlines Southwest included

I thought SWA was commited to rebuilding MSY. All other carriers are back to the pre katrina level except SWA

Not true.

I know of at least one airline, my current employer, that is not back up to pre-Katrina levels.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that even most airlines are back up to their pre-Katrina levels at MSY as the population in New Oreleans has dropped by approximately 25-35%.

GP

I know CAL jumped back in pretty strong early. That was a move to pull traffic from SWA on the Houston run. Don't know if it worked or not but if Gary thought we ought to be hot and heavy in MSY that's where we'd be.

Gup

I thought SWA was commited to rebuilding MSY. All other carriers are back to the pre katrina level except SWA

I knew someone would mention this. Kinda surprised the media didn't bite on this ( as gullible and ill-informed as they are).

Now for the sake of arguement, since I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, let's say WN had 120 flights/day in MSY prior to Katrina. CAL may have had 25 flights/day prior as well.

So, between CAL and WN there was enough demand for 145 flights. Along comes Katrina and everyone moves to Houston. Now, there is only enough demand for 105 flights/day.

CAL puts back into service their 25 flights, and they look like the good guys(in the eyes of the boneheads) for restoring 100% service to MSY.

Whereas WN finds only enough demand for 80 flights/day. Now WN is the bad guy for not fully supporting the Chocolate City( ala Ray Nagin) in its restoration. Needless to say, 100% of the demand is being served.

Now, go make me some coffee Biatch!

Latest resources

Back