Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksu_aviator

GO CATS
I've been perusing the proposed rule for 135/121 that will fundamentally change the rest and duty requirements. It seems very complicated, but it also seems like it has some very good aspects.

For one, there will no longer be a limbo like on call. You are either on short call or long call. Short call being duty and long call requiring a full rest period prior to flight.

The negative is that 9 hours seems to be the new rest time. For 121 guys, that might be good, but us 135 guys will be losing an hour.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/FAA_2010_22626.pdf

That was the NPRM language. The final rule hasn't been published yet.

It has to be in effect by 1 Aug for 121 carriers so I would expect the final rule to be published any day now.

The 135 operator I work for has implemented the rule into company policy as of Jan 1, 2011. All crew members that do not have an assigned trip on the following day go into a standard rest from 2100 - 0700. Crews with assigned trips are assigned a 10 hour rest period ending 60 - 120 minutes prior to scheduled departure on the day of the assigned trip.

The FAA is essentially merging 121 and 135 rules over the next few years and during future audits from the FAA, any violations of the rest rule is an $11k fine per violation per leg for the day. So if the crew is assigned 4 legs for the day, it is a $44k fine.

On-demand is slowly going away.

Last edited:
10 hours rest should be the minimum, but I would be ecstatic to dump the "lookback 10 hours rest". No more calls at 11pm for a 3am showtime.

One of the most heavily commented portions of the NPRM was the 9 hour rest provision. I hope that it will be changed to 10 hours.

That being said, the proposal is for 9 hours behind the hotel door. Wen you take out travel both to and from the hotel that is local in nature (as it is now) it is about a wash with the current 10 hour rule.

10 hours behind the door would be an improvement and would lead to greater rest and less fatigue. Let's hope the FAA does the right thing.

Too complicated to go into here but check out the proposed commuting language....if implemented will be the end of the world as we know it for many commuters.

There is no rest policy that will keep a crew fresh for all flights. There is no way anyone who lives on their days off on a 7AM to 11PM wake cycle with their family, can now pick up three nights of 11PM to 7AM flying and not be exhausted. The biggest sham in Part 117, is no controlled napping in the cockpit like some int’l air carriers. I am betting a result of this is going to be more time in hotels on the road in order to make guarantee. As someone else posted before it is the PIC's duty to determine if he can safely make the trip. You cannot regulate that beyond common sense. But I am serious I would like to hear what the prefect crew policy would be, and remember the company still has to make a profit in order to attract capital and pay employees.

pilotyip,

You are partially correct. There is no rule that will completely prevent pilot fatigue BUT there are rules that will greatly enhance the chances of having rested pilots. Some of those rules will probably make it into the final 121/135 fatigue rules.

pilotyip,

You are partially correct. There is no rule that will completely prevent pilot fatigue BUT there are rules that will greatly enhance the chances of having rested pilots. Some of those rules will probably make it into the final 121/135 fatigue rules.
exactly, so we are still going to fly fatiqued. But there good points in 117, like double duty on the back side of the clock. However there are lots of unintended consquences yet to be discovered

Latest resources

Back