New rest rules for Augmente crews.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

Just a question for international guys/gals. I haven't ever operated under flag rules so I'm curious on your take on the new rest rules. The way I read them, it seems that your rest will now be significantly shortned to 10 hours like the rest of us.

The way I understood the Flag rules in the past was that a crew flying from say New York to Beijing that took 15 hours, would then be required to have 30 hours off before being able to fly back.

Under the new rules, it would seem that the same crew could fly 15 hours to Beijing and then turn around and fly back 10 hours later. Is that true? Is this good or bad? I see the benefit of being able to rack up 30 hours credit in 2 days but it seems pretty exhausting, and would seem to increase fatigue to me, not reduce it which was the stated purpose of the new rules.

The double out is when you get back to the States. IOW, if your flight to Beijing is 15 hours each way, you have to have 60 hours once you get back before your next trip. This is for 4 man crews.

I looked through it and the rest is so vague I couldn't figure it out on initial read.

The "acclimated to the theater" thing has me a bit confused, but as far as I can tell, the only thing it does is, if you can't get 36 hours of rest on the layover, you only have to reduce your max flight time by 30 minutes per the chart, which if leaving during certain times of day, with crew bunks, doesn't preclude some of the longest flights that are out there (and which are the most fatiguing), with only a 10 hour layover. WTF??

Other than that I don't see any mention of additional rest on the "overnight" portion of your trip beyond the 10 hours (with 8 uninterrupted) behind the door that everyone else gets.

I can't imagine being in the 8 for 15 hours, getting 2 shifts of 2 hours to rest (I don't think I could fall asleep that fast for meaningful rest), landing somewhere 10-12 hours' difference in time zone, collapsing in my hotel room for a short 8 hours in the room, 7 hours of actual sleep if you're lucky, not including time to get food, then getting back up and repeating the trip back.

Either the unions will have to specify at least 20-24 hours of rest on the international layover in their CBA's, or there are going to be a lot of fatigue calls on the long-haul trips if I'm not reading that wrong. It's hard to tell, the d*mn thing is almost 250 pages long. I think they made it hard to read on purpose...

Last edited:
The double out is when you get back to the States. IOW, if your flight to Beijing is 15 hours each way, you have to have 60 hours once you get back before your next trip. This is for 4 man crews.

That rest is only required when you arrive at your base.....our schedulers are experts at making sure when you get into the US that you never go near your base.... You have a sched change.....

Last edited:
That rest is only required when you arrive at your base.....our schedulers are experts at making sure when you get into the US that you never go near your base.... You have a sched change.....

okay, I got that...double only required in base. What is the required rest on an overnight under current rules?

Lear-I read the rules the same as you, I think the reality of the schedule will preclude a 10 hour overnight as most airlines only have one flight a day, but I think it could be possible now have ORD-PEK, with 24 hours in PEK, and then right back to ORD.

Incredibly efficient, but i'm getting tired just reading about it.

Latest resources

Back