• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Rest Rules and Commuting.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you willing to give that up for 2-3 more nights away from home? That's the result of making every overnight longer with the short legs we do....Personally, I'd rather suck it up and enjoy more time at home.

It's not dangerous...It's simply not ideal...There is a difference.

Who says we have to give up more nights at home? THAT is something to be addressed in contract negotiations (improved trip and duty rigs). These things even themselves out in the end.

You speak like these changes coming down the line (good changes) are going to ruin everybody's QOL! What are you, management or something?

Peace.

Rekks

Hmmm....methinks at least 75% of pilots if given the choice, would rather have more time at home than longer overnights...The 25% that would rather get more sleep can bid the 4 day trips with 12 hour overnights.

I bid the tough 3 day trips....They are hard, but they aren't dangerous.

Fatigue has many components. One is how much time away from home. Another is what time do you duty in....If I have four 4day trips with duty-ins at 430AM, I'm going to be tired every single morning...No getting around it. Should we ban early duty ins too? How about redeyes? How about night freight....If you want a 9-5 M-F job, pick something else...

I am not sure about your conjecture about having to accept these improved rest rules -OR- accept less time at home. But let's put that aside...

You said that you bid tough 3 day trips. I assume they are highly efficient trips that give you the 18 days off and that 6 figure salary you have bragged about in previous posts on this forum. I think my "methinks" from my post above was not far off base at all. You seem pretty concerned about how these rest rules might affect YOUR schedule.

OK, so those TOUGH, 3 day trips aren't hard on YOU because you are senior (and by definition thereofore in the minority of pilots) and you get lots of days off to rest to recover from that tough trip. Also, as a senior pilot making 6 figures you probably can afford a nice home in a quiet neighborhood with a comfortable lifestyle. That's great for you.

What if you and your senior F/O call in sick for that tough 3 day? I hear ASA is running your reserves pretty ragged. How is that TOUGH 3 day going to be for that junior F/O reserve that has min days off and doesn't have the opportunity to recover like you do? Maybe that reserve has been busting his a$$ all month and he gets that TOUGH 3 day to end a difficult month. Not so good for him, eh?

Maybe these rest rules are not being designed to protect a super senior RJ Captain with 18 days off a month, a few weeks of vacation, and a six figure salary that affords him a nice home with a comfortable, quiet bed in which to recover? Maybe they're designed to protect the pilots who are getting 10 or 11 days off, running ragged, and perhaps don't enjoy the lifestyle that you have told us about in previous postings on this forum?

If I have four 4day trips with duty-ins at 430AM, I'm going to be tired every single morning...No getting around it. Should we ban early duty ins too? How about redeyes? How about night freight....If you want a 9-5 M-F job, pick something else...

Or you can have regulations that parallel the duty and rest rules we have at my major airline. Duty in at 4:30? Max duty day is 10 hours scheduled, with up to a 1 hour extension due to irops. This duty language automatically requires you to either have a longer rest period per calender day, or prevents back to back early morning show times. The rule applies to any duty that touches 2am to 4:59am.

Another point is that we have max scheduled duty of 12:30 hours, which can be extended to 14 hours.

Who says we have to give up more nights at home? THAT is something to be addressed in contract negotiations (improved trip and duty rigs). These things even themselves out in the end.

You speak like these changes coming down the line (good changes) are going to ruin everybody's QOL! What are you, management or something?

Peace.

Rekks
There are always these unintended consequences, only time will tell what changes will come about because of this rule change. However it is pretty well assured that it will take more pilots to fly the same number of trips. This means more cost with the same revenue, pressure on the bottom line. Who picks up the difference in bottom line return, employees? or consumers?. Not to mention this being combined with the coming pilot shortage, where will the new hires will need an ATP and 1500 hours; it will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
There are always these unintended consequences, only time will tell what changes will come about because of this rule change. However it is pretty well assured that it will take more pilots to fly the same number of trips. This means more cost with the same revenue, pressure on the bottom line. Who picks up the difference in bottom line return, employees? or consumers?. Not to mention this being combined with the coming pilot shortage, where will the new hires will need an ATP and 1500 hours; it will be interesting to watch.
Well said.

One thing to consider is that the new duty/rest rules impact ALL carriers equally, so there will be no unfair cost advantage. Management will scream that this will hurt the bottom line, but it hurts their competition's bottom line as well.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think this won't lead to more days away from home and fewer credits per day. That is the way government regulations work. The best solution would be to leave everything alone and perhaps change one thing at a time. My suggestion, 9 hours minimum at the hotel. Then we can work from there.

The end result of the new rest rules is a moot (mute for those of you in Rio Linda) point. We can't change the new rules at this juncture. We are all participants in this great laboratory of airline scheduling.

Wait and see what the end result is. My prediction? Pilots will whine and complain about their schedules, and management will claim that they can't make a profit with "these high labor costs."

Well said.

One thing to consider is that the new duty/rest rules impact ALL carriers equally, so there will be no unfair cost advantage. Management will scream that this will hurt the bottom line, but it hurts their competition's bottom line as well.
you are forgetting that it is the consumer of airline tickets that will determine what can be charged for an airline ticket

Peace.

Rekks

Exactly. Negotiate for better rigs and a higher min day so you can have those longer overnights.

Are you willing to give that up for 2-3 more nights away from home? That's the result of making every overnight longer with the short legs we do....Personally, I'd rather suck it up and enjoy more time at home.

It's not dangerous...It's simply not ideal...There is a difference.

Joe I fly with plenty of scumbags hired at my airline from 1983-1985 that have this mentality. ME ME ME...:uzi:

BTW what kind of professional uses the term 'suck it up' when it comes to the subject of being rested for duty?!?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back