• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New report on crewmember occupational radiation exposure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't window glass filter out a lot of the bad stuff?

It filters out UVA, which causes skin cancer. It does not really stop UVB, which probably causes wrinkles, fatigue, and slight immune system supression. Basically you still get all the effects of being out in the sun all day except for the burn and cancer.

No part of the airplane stops high energy gamma and neutron radiation (solar and cosmic radiation). Normally the atmosphere blocks most of that, but half the atmosphere is below 18,000 so the higher and longer you fly, the more you get. It's not a very large statistical risk, but it is detectable.

Occupational exposure limits are very conservative, so even exceeding those is not a guarantee of problems.

If you want to worry about something, worry about solar flares. I have been known to call in sick or drop mil leave when there is a big flare going...that's a good way to get a dangerous dose in a short time. Your body can better handle a certain dose spread out over time as opposed to all at once.

I just find it interesting that the trolls in blue shirts are to stupid to realize they are standing a foot from a radiation emitting device for hours every day without dose meters or yearly testing. I’m going to give it 10 years before you start to see the commercials on TV from lawyer groups suing on the behalf of cancer riddled ex-workers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back