Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pugh

Droopy Member
I'm going to flight school in September (Spartan), and was wondering if it's normal for new pilots to get airsick, espeically their first time up when it's hot, and their nervous etc etc. I was thinking that I should take some lessons to get used to it before I go off to school. Anyone here have some suggestions for me? (by the way I have thrown up in a 152 before going over some thermals)

You might have a rough go of it. Unless you have some extra cash to burn on flights, you should be okay. I’ve had several students who were shaky on the first few flights. A few of them filled some bags. By the time they had their PPL in hand, they were fine. Although I must admit, I’ve never seen anyone turn green before I started teaching. Just make sure to bring your own airsick bag with you on your first few flights. Let your CFI know before you start that you may get sick. The worst that can happen is you’ll puke and end a few lesson early. Good luck.

JB2k

When I started my initial training, one hot summer after doing ground reference manuevers, I had to have my instructor fly the plane home. I felt like crap, and only wanted to lay my head towards the open window.

It is normal, and eventually your body will get used to the strange sensations. Don't worry about it, it should pass eventually.

I never puked but I felt sick a few times. Eat something light before you fly, and fight through it. You will get used to it.;)

Fly Safe,
TA:D

Thanks for the help. I'l buy some sick bags, and remember to move the boom mic away from my mouth :)

<has never thrown up in flight>

Felt sick a few times, but if you can handle a decent sized roller coaster and the Gravatron/Starship 2000 amusement ride youll be fine....

nomore

i had a hugh problem with this when i started. 8 years ago. since then i have come to blame it on my being tense. being nervous and feeling everything little motion is what caused me to get sick. my advise is to do your best to relax. that is how i got over it. no probs since.
best of luck to you

One word....DRAMAMINE!

Yes, it's 100% illegal to take it while flying as a required crewmember on a flight but while a student for the first few hours (you need to be done with these before you solo) it'll work a treat. I puked like crazy my first two flights and dramamine worked like magic. After a couple more flights I tried a flight without taking them and I was fine. Never been sick since.........well, until I started teaching anyway!

~Fly~

Open side window. As you get more comfortable, and are doing more of the flying, your concentration level rises and you sick level falls. I still cant ride in the right seat of a 152, but I can fly one. Stick it out. Good luck!

You may also look into taking ginger. Either powdered or make a tea. Tends to settle the stomach and worked wonders for a former student.

Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back