New Orleans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mudkow60

Now that things are set up, the military and many other folks(Coast Guard, Army, Army National Guard, Navy, Customs, Marines, Air Force, Police from around the US, fire fighting helos, and many many others) are doing a great job in New Orleans. I even saw an MI-8 there. I was proud to be a helo pilot and my limited time there was the best I have spent in the Navy.

mudkow60 said:
Now that things are set up......

First, my hats off too you and the rest, you have my admiration and support.

I do wonder why it took days for certain parts of the operation to ramp up like rescues, water and MRE drops to occur in significant numbers. Were they there or did it take too long for the CH47's/-46s/UH-60's etc that are based throughout the southeast to show up in significant numbers? There are also enough reports of empty ramps at MSY and the NOAA pics show light activity at NAS N.O.
Where was the airlift when people were dying at MSY, or looking for help in other areas? (I know the USCG was there)

The CNN guy at MSY hit the AMC Lt Col with some good questions about the operation. The LC went on about cargo airlift and passenger charters that they were running. The CNN guy raised the BS fla, saying not much was happening and pax charters weren't there (at that time). The LC also seemed shocked when asked about evacuating people on AMC flights after they delivered their loads. He said it would be like putting them in the back of a semi trailer. (So F-ing what? I thought to myself, get them out of there). How many C-130's and C-17's were within 4 hours flightime range?

Again, thanks for your efforts and this little rant is small potatoes. I also understand the logistics of heavy equipment/command centers/crew lodging. It is also a huge task supporting operations. I know that many units are overseas, and those at home may have many birds down for overhaul, so that would cut into availability. It is a monumental task and it looks like the job is now getting done.

Stay safe

I did not hear the Lt Col remarks, but if true, he sure is a piece of work! "Its like putting them in a semi-trailer." WTFO! That's how many of the troops get over to war, training, and exercises....in the back of airlift!!! That's how we go when we deadhead all around the freaking world! That is how the SecDef and all of the DC cronies get around Iraq and Afghanistan! If I were given the choice I would glady jump in the back of a C-17 and fly on up to McChord and enjoy Seattle for the next 8 months. It is a nice ride! I have to say I am truly embarrassed when folks like this Lt Col speak for the rest of us. What an idiot.

You guys realize of course that there has to be something/someone to greet and take care of these people when they arrive, right?

My guess is that the strat airlift was being used to bring stuff IN, and tac/helo airlift was being used to take people out. Saying "Look, an empty C-17!" is worthless, especially if the answer is "It's going to NAS China Lake to pick up some water purifiers."

"But these people need to be evacuated!!!" screams the reporter....OK, if they want to go to the Nevada desert where no one is expecting them and with no supplies..hop on board!

I think that the LTC was ill-prepared to get hit full-face with reporters (no excuse), but it doesn't mean that there wasn't an overall plan in place. Not every aircraft leaving New Orleans is going someplace that people want to be...

Mamma said:
I did not hear the Lt Col remarks, but if true, he sure is a piece of work! "Its like putting them in a semi-trailer." WTFO! That's how many of the troops get over to war, training, and exercises....in the back of airlift!!!
How long does it take to reconfigure the airplane from an all-cargo (pallets, roll-ons, whatever) configuration to a passenger configuration? Did these airplanes have that much time scheduled on the ground, or was it a stop, drop, and roll?

Our troops do not get to war sitting on the floor. They sit in seats, and they use seat belts and shoulder harnesses. It's NOT like a semi-trailer. Can you imagine the outcry were a C-130 crammed like a cattle-car with refugees to crash on take-off, with bodies spilling out everywhere?

How could the airplanes' utility be maximized? Sometimes it's easy to condemn what you see because of what you cannot see and do not know. Perhaps we should be a little slower to judge the veracity of the LTC's statement.

Just some thoughts.

What Tony meant to say was "Shut the **$& up" when you don't know what you are talking about.

Just got out of an AOC after a long night shift watching hundreds of people trying to coordinate and facilitate the help. Lots of people are doing the best they can right now. If you are so convinced some LTC is gooning it up then beat feet down to your local ANG recruiter and sign up and perhaps you can help and do a better job. I certainly don't enjoy working the graveyard shift here right now--maybe you can come fill in for me (or one of the many guys working a lot harder than I am!) that are trying to bring some order to all this chaos. If you can't do that then perhaps you can join a charitable group providing comfort in your local area. If you are watching TV with a cold beer on your coach and surfing the internet describing how stupid all these rescue/military/civil defense folks are who are out there trying to do something, then I have absolutely nothing for you.

Last edited:
Get a grip!

The problem is not with the Mil response, but rather the First Responders that the NO Mayor and the Gov of LA SHOULD have organized, and wasnt. They had NO plan! The Mayor sent 20,000 people into the Dome with NO water or food supplies knowing fully that the water supply and power would be lost even wothout the flood!!!

We couldnt get in to the NO area untill the wind was less that 50 KIAS or so. The Coast Guard was in there by Monday evening with 50 KIAS wind and several 47's and 60's were deployed and on sight by Tuesday MORNING! By Tuesday afternoon, there were over 40 military aircraft on sight. By Wednesday there were deployment orders for several thousand people and the first supplies started to arrive. It was not the military!

There should have been water and staples stockpiled for such a disaster and the 100 or so busses should have been put on high ground to help in the evacuation. You cant have FEMA or the MIL pre position millions of tons of supplies in the eye of the disaster. You have to move the stuff and mil equipment out of the area to save it so it can be used later. This arm chair quarterbacking is out of control.

What I was trying to say is the Lt Col's remarks were B.S. about the inadequacy of a C-17 being able to take refugees out. I was not saying they should cram C-17s/C130s full of folks trying to get out and just take them anywhere. Albie, get some sleep.

Latest resources

Back