New Orleans helos

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mudkow60

New Orleans is like a helicopter air show, except only very serious business. I pray that there are no mid airs there. It is very crowded.

Helicopters are the most humanitarian invention that man has produced.

At a drop off point at New Orleans international, there were about 40 helos dropping patients off on the ramp. Unfortunately, one of the people we rescued had a heart attack, and we went to the front of the line.

Please pray for the victems and the rescuers. Folks are taking shots at some of the helos.

You know I had the same thought as I watched some of the rescue footage. What an incredible machine.

I often thought the same thing as I flew the Hawk but the thought rarely crossed my mind in the Cobra :)).

As far as shooting at the rescuers, it is hard to fathom what people are capable of doing. I certainly hope no harm comes to those working to help.

I just wish our unit would go. I'd love to keep the peace from those maniac looters and murderers with an Apache...a few runs down the street with some 30mm and rockets would probably stop the looting! Problem is, too many chances of getting someone who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd love to catch one of them fuc%ers in the act, though.Being an attack guy, we don't get the support missions like this, unfortunately. The only mission we get is overseas hunting bad guys in Toyota pickups and caves.

weekendwarrior said:
I just wish our unit would go. I'd love to keep the peace from those maniac looters and murderers with an Apache...a few runs down the street with some 30mm and rockets would probably stop the looting! Problem is, too many chances of getting someone who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd love to catch one of them fuc%ers in the act, though.Being an attack guy, we don't get the support missions like this, unfortunately. The only mission we get is overseas hunting bad guys in Toyota pickups and caves.

Hey, just know that we back at home appreciate your hunting the vermin in those pickups and caves. Thanks for being there; we who have served know what you go through.

Ironically, I have flown a Cobra over NO many times while stationed at Ft. Puke. Should've taken a shot when I had the chance.

Not there yet, but will be going. When I said the mission *we* get is the attack helicopter community. I personally have not been to the sandbox yet.

Sandbox

Sandbox is very "Hot" this time of year. But, if you're going to fly over here, fly the 64. It takes a "lickin' and keeps on Kickin".

atlcrashpad said:
Sandbox is very "Hot" this time of year. But, if you're going to fly over here, fly the 64. It takes a "lickin' and keeps on Kickin".

Interesting to hear. When I was flying the AH-1, the reputation was just the opposite. Several of my crewmates ended up going to the 64 and none of them had a positive impression of the OR rates. Of course that was in the late 80's and I'm sure things can change.

A quick story for you Apache guys. The 64 was first fielded when I was a young W1. DES came to our station to brief us on this incredible new bird. But they were very clear that only the most experienced gun jocks had any chance of getting into the transition. Things like SP and 1000 hrs of IP time were thrown about a possible requirements to be considered.

Well, I gave up on the idea, seeing as how I assumed it would be a long time before I would qualify for the IP course and who knows how long it would take to get enough experience. Then about two months later, and Aeromedical team from Ft. Rucker showed up and commenced to measure the head of every pilot on post. Turns out, at least as was briefed to me by the good Dr. who measured my head, that the Army had a surplus of one particular size helmet and as the helmets were very expensive, it was easier to find heads that fit the helmet as opposed to get helmets to fit the heads.

As a result, we lost a few gun guys, a couple of 58 pilots and even our HQ Huey guy. Me? I was lucky enough to have the "biggest head in the Bn" and as such was spared a trip to Mother Rucker and eventually Ft. Hood.

But the Army has its ways. One year later I was sent to Ft. Polk. Payback is a mutha.

After landing in Gulf Shores, AL last weekend, I got to talk to a Marine UH-1 pilot flying in N.O., basing in Pensacola. Real nice guy, quite an interesting tale about what it is/was like in NO. I thought it was amazing how many helicopters were there in Gulf Shores, at least 6, with two UH-1s actively operating when we landed.

Good work, guys.

BTR has 200+ helos here. Mostly military, but probably 50 civilian. Just about everything in the inventory is represented. Even the CH-53s (and their tanker derivatives) and on the civilian side, anyone remember the TV show Riptide? There are at least two S-58s, complete with radial engine. It's f'ing craaazy.

I talked to a guy who said he has TCAS and it crapped out an error code when it hit 175 targets on the 5mi scale.

As of last week, there were at least four crashes (all civilian), 3 were from military rotorwash.

"I talked to a guy who said he has TCAS and it crapped out an error code when it hit 175 targets on the 5mi scale."

Having been involved in the rescue ops there the first two weeks, I would say that is just a bit of a stretch. There were many, many,many aircraft over there but that is a bit much. My TCAS never had a problem.

"As of last week, there were at least four crashes (all civilian), 3 were from military rotorwash."

I had only seen two. One military and once civilian. Interesting to hear of more. Do you know the specifics?

Latest resources

Back