New NJ Local?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
realityman said:
Again, the long-term goal is to have as many fractionals become part of the union as possible.
There are 939 pilots at Flight Options. I am sure that a majority of these pilots would be willing to support a fractional union if ballots went out today. Of course, the top echelon of this group is questionable.

Our top echelon is questionable too but we were still able to vote this pos ta down by 82 percent even without their help.

SU is working hard to make sure we have respect finally as a pilot group within our own company.

Right now if they could try and make us fly 24hrs a day with no food they would. Our contract and status quo is the only thing keeping them from doing it.

Of course they are trying to get relief from subpart K. Not going to happen.

minimums said:
Pick up the phone and call us boys & girls over at Flight Options. If you want the largest, most powerful local union to represent all of the fractional pilots and their families, get us involved.
actually, YOU have to ask for the representation from the teamsters. then, they'll come and try to organize. you have to call them up, get your "sign-up cards" or whatever they're called, and have 50%+1 return them asking for teamsters representation. YOU have to do the work first.

bizjet737 said:
actually, YOU have to ask for the representation from the teamsters. then, they'll come and try to organize. you have to call them up, get your "sign-up cards" or whatever they're called, and have 50%+1 return them asking for teamsters representation. YOU have to do the work first.
Problem is, every time the IBT comes around, they try force us into their POS 747 local.

Realityman, that is a good summary of the situation. Although we don't hear talk of inviting others to join right now, I also believe that it's because they (SU) have their hands full and want to be successful with their dual mission--good contract and new local. I recall, back when the move to form their own local first came out, a question about the FAs joining was asked. The answer was that it would not be considered at this time as it would be a distraction, but the wording of the answer left the door open for the future. I see no reason why the same answer wouldn't apply to other fractional pilots and have to believe (based on what I know about SU) that ASAP--Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots--was a name chosen after much deliberate thinking of the future. I think that it'd be a great idea for all the fractional pilots to band together, and let their collective voices be heard, loud and clear. NJ pilots are getting back to the original meaning of a union and realizing that THEY are the union and must actively control their own destinies. This reminds me of a card I found when doing a word search on "destiny". It's perfect for this post! Please understand that I AM NOT claiming to be a pilot; it is the message that I like.

http://www.bluemountain.com/view.pd?i=109261368&m=1932&rr=y&source=bma999

ALL PILOTS ARE PROFESSIONALS AND SHOULD BE PAID AS SUCH

A RISING TIDE SHOULD LIFT ALL BOATS

Why the heck to you folks have such a big hard-on for Teamsters?? Why the heck in this day and age, would you NOT form your own internal union?

Look at the couple of airlines that have them.

If I were at FLOPS, I'd take my chances with management rather than Teamsters. Good grief.

Ultrarunner, look at the size of those airline unions and also the infrastructure costs associated with running such an organization. NJ pilots have no great love for the Teamsters; many negative comments can be heard about them, in fact. Forming their own local is viewed as the best situation right now. The supportive, positive statements coming from the NJ group, in reference to a union, apply to the pilots themselves and their leadership (soon to be recognized officially as the new MEC) for, as they have learned, THEY are the union. THAT is where their confidence is placed. NJW--1 of many

If they have the commitment and knowlege level to form their own MEC, then they should easily be able to de-certify the IBT, and form their own NJPA.

Then, and only then, will they be in control of their own destiny. IMO.

It isn't a matter only of commitment and knowledge--there is no shortage of those requirements. As with so many things, it also comes down to money. Do you really think that the Teamsters would just hand over all that money (dues) and wish them luck if they were looking to decertify? The leadership of the group does believe that they will be in charge of their fate AND FUNDS when they get their own local. They must also prepare for, and win, a good/fair contract. It appears that the IBT is paying attention to what the NJ pilots want and are willing to accomodate, rather than lose, them. That degree of autonomy will allow them them to focus on the negotiations. There is widespread support for that strategy; I'm not sure there would be for a complete break, at this time.

diesel interesting comment since you had this to say on another post
"Our company not our union won't even pay us past 14hrs because they don't want to entice pilots to keep flying to earn extra bling bling"

Latest resources

Back