Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

domyalex

Hi to all!
My name's Alejandro, I'm from Dominican Republic, 25 yrs old; I have been reading this forum for some time and wow! it's truly great!

I have a couple of questions and was hoping somebody could give me the right infos.
I'm considering getting my CPL (with IFR and ME) down here and then possibly get the CFI in the US. Will my foreign CPL be acepted by the FAA? I got the PPL in Texas, and having it validated here was a matter of a 2hrs checkride and familiarization flight, but I don't know how it works the other way around. Also, once validated in the US, will people look down on my CPL because it was taken outside the US?
And last, is it possible for foreign pilots (I have italian citizenship) to obtain work in the US? Maybe starting as CFI, then moving to Part 135 freight or regional and so on, the usual ladder.
Any other ideas/suggestions/infos are greatly apreciated!
Best regards

Alejandro

The FAA, to the best of my knowlege, will not issue anything higher than a PPL based on a foreign certificate.

NewBlue said:
The FAA, to the best of my knowlege, will not issue anything higher than a PPL based on a foreign certificate.
Yeah, I found the FARs that deal with that part.
However, all flight time done outside the US in an ICAO country will be considered valid, right? So, given I had the required experience and skills, it'd be a matter of taking the due Knowledge tests and checkrides, or am I missing something?
Best regards

I did the same thing, however I came from Canada. However, I'm a citizen, so it there wasn't any VISA hassle.

You have to write the Commercial and Instrument written, and do both rides (most recomend seperatly).

Your hours from an ICAO country will count towards the rating you wish to obtain, however you need to meet the FAA Standards.

First thing's first. You need to submit an application to the FAA in Oklahoma to varify your license's. Then you take that letter they send you back to a FSDO. The FSDO will issue a PPL based on you forgein lic. That means you need the DR lic with you, plus the piece of paper the FAA gives you.

Clear as mud for you?

Latest resources

Back