New IR PTS Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

The new IR PTS talks about steep turns (actuall just references the instrument flying handbook section regarding attitud control and steep turns) but it does not mention the 45 degree bank.

My question is that since the PTS references the handbook...and the handbook says anything over standard rate is steep...would anything over standard rate cover my a$$ on the checkride?

Not that I can't do the 45 degree turns, but...dang its close on the altitudes...REAL close...a lot tougher than VFR steep turns...imo

-mini

The way I've always understood it and the way we do it at my flight school goes like this: carry over the PTS of the rating you have. i.e Private, use the Private PTS; Commercial, use the Commercial PTS. This goes for Instrument, Multi, and CFI.

Hope this helps...

The PTS is a fairly self explanatory thing to use. It outlines what you have to do and to what standard you have to do it. It does not, however, explain HOW you do it.

Minitour, the Instrument PTS actually does not have the word "steep" anywhere in it. The only mention of turns (for a single engine airplane) is in Area of Operation IV, Task A where it says you must:

"Exhibits adequate knowledge of the elements related to attitude instrument flying during straight-and-level, climbs, turns, and descents while conducting various instrument flight procedures" and "Maintains altitude within +/- 100 feet during level flight, headings within +/- 10°, airspeed within +/- 10 knots, and bank angles within +/- 5° during turns."

Given that, you're assumption of going to the 8083-15 (Instrument Flying Handbook) is correct. And in there, it does not mention a specific bank angle for a steep turn for instrument flight other than to say that it is beyond standard rate. It even says that the exact angle is "unimportant." So you are technically correct in that you can choose whatever angle you want, but when you choose it, you gotta stick with it.

But now you get into what the examiner wants to see. If he/she sees you trying to pass off a 30 degree turn as a steep turn, they may call you on it. Most likely because they are ignorant to the actual FAA definition of a steep turn in instrument flight. If you want to get into an argument with the examiner, go ahead. I wish you luck.

SMOE's rule of thumb is pretty good, but I would question whether 50 degrees of bank for a commercial pilot in instrument flight is reasonable. Is it do-able, most definitely. Is it necessary, not according to the FAA.

Latest resources

Back