New Hire Jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gooseman13

I just started my first job as a dispatcher a week ago, obviously still in training, and I'm thinking about jumpseating to visit my folks this week. Any reason I shouldn't try to do it? It would be on an airline other than the one I work for (probably JetBlue), but I do know our aurline's dispatchers have a jumpseat agreement with I have not received my permanent certificate from the FAA yet, so I'm still carrying around the paper temporary one, in case that may matter.
Thanks for the advice!

Dx advice

If this is your first time jumpseating, ask someone in your office about protocol.... it's important. Remember, it's the captain's decision whether you get on, but the gate agent can keep you from talking to the CPT. I've always had good luck by being as nice as possible, and simply asking "would it be possible to sign up for the jumpseat?" Have your ID and license ready for them, it helps to have your own pen, and get out of the way of paying passengers when you are filling out your form. Remember, you are in effect begging for a ride (which they don't have to give you) so being humble is the safest way to go. Some gate agents don't know, however, that DX'ers can jumpseat. If they say they don't take DX'ers, politely ask when they stopped. I've only had one problem with an agent like that, and the Captain intervened, which started an argument between them. I told them I 'd just go on another airline, and the CPT said "stay where you are, it's a matter of principle now", and I ended up getting on. If you're not in CASS, you will have to be a cabin rider, so they will have to have an open seat for you, but it's usually no big deal. Have a great time, and remember to thank the crew for the ride!!!!

I would also check with your jumpseat coordinator on whether you are authorized to jumpseat while still in training. Our dispatchers may not jumpseat until they have completed a comp check.

Also, as stated in the previous post, be as polite as possible, introduce yourself to the crew and ASK the captain for a ride. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

You are going to run into some UAL guys that will point blank ask you, "are you JSing for business or pleasure?" It's a shame that they do it there....that and they have asked for a current medical too. Kinda stupid, but whatever. Make sure you only use the JS for pleasure.....it's a privelage to have.

If your going to sit out back, introduce yourself to the lead FA too.

Also, don't assume that you'll get that open first class seat just because you did last time. I've been on 737s that had only 40 people on board and was given a seat way in the back, and I've had just the opposite (first). It totally depends upon the agent.

Another thing, if the agent tells you to just go take an open seat, I've always stuck my head in the cockpit and introduced myself to the Capt and the Lead FA, then hang out in the jetway until everyone is on board. That way you're not playing musical seats when the stragglers walk on board. Also, if you conduct the ole friendly chit chat with the FA while waiting, you may get that open first class seat.

1) show up early
2) be polite
3) don't bother the agent asking if you're going to get on. they'll tell you.
4) ask the capt for a ride
5) stay out of the way of revenue passengers
6) if they don't have a meal for you, suck it up. Better luck next time.
7) enjoy your FREE ride (the person sitting next to you likely paid $500 for his)
8) thank the crew for the ride
9) DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT WILL SCREW IT UP FOR THE REST OF US!

SKC, that's great advice for pilots, too!

Latest resources

Back