New gig, lotsa time... get an A&P?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
either be a pilot or be an a&p.

If you have an A&p guess what you'll be doing if you leave this job.

not worth it.

Says you.

I wouldn't say that, but then I've been employed in both positions for quite some time now.

Not worth it to you. But it may be, and is, to some of us who have spent much of our career doing it professionally. Some of us might even take affront to such a statement of ignorance. Some of us might...

A&p

Since you asked about it, you obviously have some interest in it. I would say, it depends on what you see yourself doing from now on. If you definitely want to continue on the operations end of things (i.e., not get into some kind of management gig) for the rest of your career, then definitely, yes, get an A&P if your present situation allows you the time to train.

Yes there is a slight risk that your boss will ask you to do additional duties and for no more money, but that really depends on you, he might have to ask himself which is worse, paying some extra bucks or finding a new pilot.

As you look around and plan out the rest of your career, look at how many jobs include some degree of requirement or desire that a candidate have an A&P. This should tell you something.

As to the problem of "having" to wrench if you lose your medical, as I say, if your mind is made up to stay in the hands-on portion of the flying business, working as an A&P would fill that bill.

150 hours of year, salary pay. 1-2 weeks advanced notice, a few pop-ups a year.

Penny for y'alls thoughts.

I've got a great gig lined up and I am a regional FO on reserve! I build decks on my days off---Roughly $15/hr, cash (with no prior experience).... you can make a lot of money in construction on the side. Thats my goal, I don't want anything to do with aviation on my days off. :)

I'd love to know more about what goes on under the hood, but researching more I have found in order to get your A&P requires 2 years working fulltime as a mechanic, or a 2 year school for approx. 30K.

Most schools are 13 months or so, but you can drag it out as long as you like. If you're spending thirty grand, you're trying too hard to spend your money.

What did you expect? Did you think becoming a mechanic is a six week community ed course? It's far more intensive and complex than obtaining your pilot certificates through the ATP...there's more to know, it's a lot more comprehensive.

Once you obtain the certification, you're qualified to tie your shoelace, and possibly rivet your fingers together. Becoming a competent mechanic takes years of on the job experience, which is why the FAA recognizes 30 months of full time experience when allowing you to gain certification that way.

It's not a trivial undertaking. If you're going to become an aircraft mechanic, take it seriously. Have fun while you're at it, but be sincere.

Most schools are 13 months or so, but you can drag it out as long as you like. If you're spending thirty grand, you're trying too hard to spend your money.

What did you expect? Did you think becoming a mechanic is a six week community ed course? It's far more intensive and complex than obtaining your pilot certificates through the ATP...there's more to know, it's a lot more comprehensive.

Once you obtain the certification, you're qualified to tie your shoelace, and possibly rivet your fingers together. Becoming a competent mechanic takes years of on the job experience, which is why the FAA recognizes 30 months of full time experience when allowing you to gain certification that way.

It's not a trivial undertaking. If you're going to become an aircraft mechanic, take it seriously. Have fun while you're at it, but be sincere.

absolutely. my interest in aircraft mechanics was mostly academic; with considerations that maybe one day in the distant future I would change my own oil.

When I did my certification, I did it based on experience. I'd been working as a mechanic's assistant for years. I put together documentation for a year, and then studied for a year (I'm into overkill), and took the writtens, then another year and took the practical at a community college. During the practical, the examiner lead me around a parts room for the college and asked me to identify certain parts. They were foriegn to me; things I hadn't been working with. He said don't worry, you're not expected to have seen or to know everything.

I told him my main interest in obtaining the A&P was to obtain a flying job I was after, which required a mechanic certificate. I told him I didn't think I'd be turning wrenches. I did the usual things on the practical test, riveting, researching an AD, safety wiring, balancing a propeller, performing an inspection, etc...about eight hours counting the oral. And I went my way.

I interviewed for a pilot position, and as part of the interview, got a tour of the facilities. It ended in the maintenance department, where I was impressed with the large airplane in the very large hangar...so this is what I'll be flying...

I was deposited in the office for the Director of Maintenance, where I found myself in the middle of another interview. Turns out I was interviewing for the new parts pilot positon...the guy who flies all the mechanics all over creation and then stays with them and works on the airplane...and when he gets home, goes to work in the hangar. This was to be an interim position until my ground school was complete and I was online in the big airplane. Foot in the door sort of thing.

My first day in he shop, I was handed a roll of fuel line, some aeroquip fittings, and pointed toward a large airplane outside the door. "Fabricate all new fuel lines for that aircraft, have them pressure tested, and install them."

Okay. Never done that before. Not a problem. XXX will show you what to do. XXX started by guiding me through the first fitting. After that, I was on my own. The learnin curve went up from there, and a year later I was an inspector in that repair station, having installed, fixed, repaired, inspected, rebuilt, overhauled, and fabricated just about one of everything on the property...and we had an entire small air force on the property.

I didn't think I'd be doing much more than an occasional safety wire job, possibly a tire change here or there. Turns out I was wrong. It worked out, because that experience saved my life more than once. I'm here typing this because I learned more about what made airplanes tick, and what it takes to keep them flying, than I'd ever bargained for. Where and how that training and experience will benifit you, you may never know...but any training you get will be to your benifit. I gaurantee you that.

What I said before, I didn't say to discourage you. Only to tell you to take it seriously. Changing oil is a simple thing. It can result in some serious problems if done wrong...but learning to do it right is a simple thing. The overall scope of learning maintenance is enormous.

My next job after the above described one was as Director of Maintenance in a corporate flight department. It was my first jet job, and I got that job because I could turn wrenches. Again, you never now where your experience will take you. I don't think the time spent will be wasted. It doesn't condemn you to turning wrences for he rest of your life, but it does open up opportunities if you want it to.

Latest resources

Back