Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PimpJuice

Pete Schwetty
Saw that Congress passed new GI Bill funding yesterday greatly expanding benefits. One of the provisions allows you to pass on benefits to spouses/children. Does anyone know if this will apply to those that separated? I left active duty two years ago but am still in the IRR.

schweaty balls.

There is info on various mil websites, military.com, etc... I think the key date is for service after 9-11.

Thanks for that link. I just graduated from Columbia Business School so this unfortunately this won't help me. Too bad as it looks like I could have got E-5 BAH in NYC which is about 2k. Looks like I can transfer the remainder of the benefits to my kids though. Guess I won't have to make schwetty balls forever.

What is the source for the 6-10 year commitment to use for dependents? Haven't seen that anywhere. What is the commitment for a Trad Reservist?

If you're an ROTC or Academy guy, or the service paid for your school in any way... doesn't apply to you.

You may want to look again. After you've fulfilled your minimum commitment your time starts counting towards the three years to get full benefits.

http://www.gibill2008.org/index.html

As a matter of fact, anyone who was past their initial Academy or ROTC Scholarship commitment and who served at least 90 days post 9/11 gets the benefit. I'm eligible for 50% and I retired in Jun 2002 (1980 Academy grad). I was frankly surprised that they extended it to folks who had already gotten out, and I will probably not take advantage of it, but it was good that they covered all of the folks who have been active since 9/11.

Latest resources

Back