• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New flight requirements for Commercial pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They ALREADY give the -141/university programs a break. You only need about 188 hours to get a commercial license in some of those programs.

Airlines will start hiring foreigners and those who attend ERAU will only need 800 hours... Harvard of the Skies baby!

They will START? When did they stop? This is the only country in the world where pretty much anyone can come, get a work visa and fly-with stupid low-time.... Try getting a job in any desirable part of the world as a low-time U.S. citizen....

-"Harvard of my ass"

Hi!

It is, basically, impossible to come to the us to get a green card for a flying job. If you are a citizen, or already have a green card (which are VERY difficult to get), then you can get your FAA licenses and get a job.

LOTS of US pilots can go overseas, get a work permit, and get your license converted, even in Western Europe.

Foreign pilots with no right to work here, cannot get a job in the US.

Hi!

It is, basically, impossible to come to the us to get a green card for a flying job. If you are a citizen, or already have a green card (which are VERY difficult to get), then you can get your FAA licenses and get a job.

LOTS of US pilots can go overseas, get a work permit, and get your license converted, even in Western Europe.

The many pilots I have flown with who barely speak english would beg to differ! Although they are GREAT GUYS whom I RESPECT and ADMIRE!

I think you are smoking crack, sir! (although I RESPECT and ADMIRE you!)

P.S.- I particularly RESPECT and ADMIRE your avatar! I want that bitch on my side in any barfight we may encounter!

Last edited:
They might barely speak English, but they had a US passport or green card and an FAA license before they were hired at your company(ies).

This is the only country in the world where pretty much anyone can come, get a work visa and fly-with stupid low-time.... Try getting a job in any desirable part of the world as a low-time U.S. citizen....

The many pilots I have flown with who barely speak english would beg to differ!

That is incorrect and somewhat dangerous to state! The INS or whatever it is called now will not and has not given foreigners work visas for being a pilot. The most common work visa is the H1B and is strictly regulated in areas where there is a demonstrated shortage, i.e. nurses. Pilots never fell into that category. Your understanding of obtaining a visa/green card is also flawed, the H1B requires a company to sponsor that individual. Companies that do so are usually large, got a good HR department with good legal connections to the INS. I don't recall seeing any regional saying that they'll sponsor foreigners. On all websites I recalled it said "will not sponsor for visa". The risk for the sponsoring company is too high, and the employer cannot be changed without prior approval etc.

Another point is that the (starting) salaries at the US regionals are very low compared to other countries. In Europe, your starting salary would be around € 60,000 on RJ equipment. Point the finger to Mexico? Even Aeromexico Connect pilots would laugh at our face. Look at the grounded Mexicana fleet in MEX and you see senior pilots that (unfortunately) used to make over $200,000 flying the A320 fleet. The rest of Latin America? They're off to the ME with EK, etc.

They might barely speak English, but they had a US passport or green card and an FAA license before they were hired at your company(ies).

Cliff is right. Do some research before you post.

Because 141 schools aren't accredited and don't have degree programs.

The exemption will be given for any structured flight training. Part 141 is structured flight training, and they are accredited. To be part 141, you have to be approved and monitored by the FAA.

Part 61, that's a different story.

It isn't the college degree that is giving the exemption. It is the structured training (part 141). ERAU completes most of the flight training under part 141, as do most professional flight schools.

The exemption will be given for any structured flight training. Part 141 is structured flight training, and they are accredited. To be part 141, you have to be approved and monitored by the FAA.

Part 61, that's a different story.

It isn't the college degree that is giving the exemption. It is the structured training (part 141). ERAU completes most of the flight training under part 141, as do most professional flight schools.

Not to disagree needlessly, but what flight school isn't 'professional'? It sounds a lot like you are taking a shot at part 61 flight schools here.

It's very clear in the FOI publication from the FAA: The standards are the standards. Just because my ATP wasn't earned at a 141 school doesn't make me any less competent as a pilot or my level of certification any less.

Let's recognize this situation for what it is; the political influence and lobbying efforts of the ERAUs and Comair Academies (sic) have ensured that their existing business model will survive the next round of airline hiring.

There are plenty of pilots out there who would like to fly for a regional, but not for 20K a year. If they want to operate an airline, they will have to pay a quality wage. Experience costs money, and experience means more than 400 hrs. TT.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back