New flight requirements for Commercial pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Talian

With the newly adopted idea of requiring every 121 pilot to have 1500 hours and an ATP, what do you guys think will happen to the supply of experienced pilots willing to work for regional pay when the economy gets better? Is it also true that this will apply to Pt. 135 operators?

Airlines will start hiring foreigners and those who attend ERAU will only need 800 hours... Harvard of the Skies baby!

the hourly requirement is lowered from 1500 hours for those who attended "approved school," but why does everyone think it's going to be ERAU, UND, Western Mich, Perdue, etc?

It very well might be 141 flight schools...

the hourly requirement is lowered from 1500 hours for those who attended "approved school," but why does everyone think it's going to be ERAU, UND, Western Mich, Perdue, etc?

Talk about flight school. I'm sure the chickens at Perdue will have no problems flying. Don't know if the grocery stores will like losing them though.

I don't think there are many dumb enough to spend 100-200k on flight training just so they can get 700hrs off this magical 1500 total time. Life time of debt vs a few more months of paying dues... Emory bdrible will no doubt suffer as will other pilot mills. Airlines will also have a hard time finding pilots, look what happened during the last wave and that was with commercial mins.

Because 141 schools aren't accredited and don't have degree programs.

I don't think there are many dumb enough to spend 100-200k on flight training just so they can get 700hrs off this magical 1500 total time. Life time of debt vs a few more months of paying dues... Emory bdrible will no doubt suffer as will other pilot mills. Airlines will also have a hard time finding pilots, look what happened during the last wave and that was with commercial mins.

The last wave was fed by massive regional growth, which created an artificial need for more crews for the same pax volume.

This went beyond the legit regional niche...a few daily flights to Podunk Falls. Due to low cost, RJ's were thrown onto mainline routes, even hub-to-hub.

That growth will probably retrench going forward, never to be seen again. Ultimately smaller planes are not cost effective without a big labor pay disparity.

The one bonus RJ's have is higher frequency...five daily RJ's is more convenient than two daily narrowbodies. But I'm not sure that will be enough to keep them around in current quantities if (when) fuel and labor costs go up.

The last wave was fed by massive regional growth, which created an artificial need for more crews for the same pax volume.

This went beyond the legit regional niche...a few daily flights to Podunk Falls. Due to low cost, RJ's were thrown onto mainline routes, even hub-to-hub.

That growth will probably retrench going forward, never to be seen again. Ultimately smaller planes are not cost effective without a big labor pay disparity.

The one bonus RJ's have is higher frequency...five daily RJ's is more convenient than two daily narrowbodies. But I'm not sure that will be enough to keep them around in current quantities if (when) fuel and labor costs go up.
I've been saying the same thing for a few years now. If they're short pilots, all they have to do is reduce frequency of flights and go big. It's like they've been creating a buffer for the last decade with the regional boom.

If regionals can't find the pilots, then they will have to raise the first year pay plus add incentives. There is no reason why a pilots can not start out at $35,000 at a regional.
Also giving pilots who go to the "accredited" schools a break on total time is BS! The ATP rules should apply to everyone. Good pilots have different backgrounds including the P61 guys. 141 has some advantages, if you happen to live near a flight school that offers 141 training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back