New Federal Law

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lindy

I wanted to pass along the new federal statute regarding the documents required to begin flight training in the United States. If you are a U.S. Citizen, not too difficult, however, if you are from another country seeking to obtain flight training, please review the following:

The Department of Justice issued a new directive on Friday, June
14, 2002 that is effective immediately. This Directive, 28 CFR
Part 105, deals with the Screening of Aliens and other Designated
Individuals Seeking Flight Training. As far as I know, this directive
applies to every commercial pilot and the following requirements
are mandatory:

A. All pilots must have their proof of citizenship validated
before attending training. Proof of citizenship includes any of
the following documents.

1. A valid, unexpired United States passport.

2. An original, or government issued certified birth certificate
with raised seal documenting birth in the United States or one of
its territories, together with a government issued picture
identification of the individual named in the birth certificate.

3. An original United States naturalization certificate with
raised seal, Form N-550 or Form N-570, together with a
government-issued picture identification of the individual named
in the certificate.

4. An original certification of birth abroad with raised seal,
Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350, together with a government-issued
picture identification of the individual named in the certificate.

5. An original certificate of United States citizenship with
raised seal, Form N-560 or Form N-561, together with a
government-issued picture identification of the individual named
in the certificate.

B. All pilots are required to comply with this directive prior to
attending training. If you are scheduled for training in the
month of June, please bring one of these documents with you.

If you are a foreign citizen flying in the US, I encourage you to
familiarize yourself with the directive.

I saw this around FS for my sim training... Supposedly the sim tech's were going to verify the information BEFORE getting in the sim. Never happened to me, but I was instructed to have my ID ready and available....

This was also about 2 months ago...

Proof of Citizenship

It's a step in the right direction. But, who would be validating the documents? Schools? The INS?

I dunno how much I am in favor of flight schools being used as an arm of government law enforcement. At least these records would be on file at the school, but potential terrorist flight students could still be turning props when they should not have been allowed near a school at all. In my two-cent opinion, potential undesirables should be screened out before they can walk through America's door, long before they get near the airport.

Does this law also mean that private flight instructors who free-lance instruct in their own airplanes must review students' citizenship papers? That's how I read the law. What about certificated pilots who come to you for a flight review or IPC? Do instructors have to review their proof of citizenship as well?

Once again, it's a step in the right direction toward keeping terrorists away from U.S. flight training. But, the law raises more questions than it may have answers.

As I understood it, and I will add I really do not understand it...

It was as desert pilot states, aircraft over 12,500. It was for simulator training in Level D sim's. Unfortunately where my company uses the Sim, FS does not have any sim's that are not "airline oriented".

I would be interested in knowing if it is a requirment at all sim centers regardless of type of aircraft.

Anyway, in short, FS's position was due to the events of 9/11 the TSA had created this requirment to verify the citizenship of all people entering the sim, including the instructor. This was suppose to be done before each session and a some form of record keeping was to take place. I do not know if airlines were sort of exempt since most pilots have already been checked or in the process of being verifed and a company ID was an acceptable form of identification.

I personally would like to know, last time I looked my certificates are federal in nature and now with some individual states making requirments on my certificates and my ability to obtain and maintain my "federal" certifiacte(s). This has me concerned about the states bringing thier bureaucracy to an already taxred system. Where does it end?

Please help me make a good decision!
Believe it or not,I'm seriously considering a new career in aviation! I recently started flying lessons and have been bitten by the bug:) There are numerous schools to choose from and I find a few interesting in my area.Gulfstream Academy,Flight Safety,Pan Am, and ATP Incorporated.All are relatively close to me here in Fl.Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanks!

Flight schools

Try running searches on the board on each of the schools you mentioned. Guaranteed, you'll find plenty of information and discussions on all. Every school you mentioned has been discussed plenty on the board.

Also try running searches on career changing.

AceAxe

To add .02 into the conversation...

With most of the air carriers not hiring, some possible further furloughs in the near future, I would recommend that you seriously go for quality. Most of the schools you mentioned have decent programs, at a cost and most are designed to finish you in about 8 months to a year or less.

You may be better off to save a bit of money, pick a FBO or smaller school and take your time getting quality instruction.
I am not saying you will not get it at the big schools, but why spend the extra bucks when in a year or more from now this industry "may" just be getting back on its feet.

No real movement in the majors are going to happen for a few years until all of those folks get recalled (some are suggesting 2-3 years).

Regardless, the bug is definate adiction and in most ways satisfying....

Best of luck

From the FAA web site

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOREIGN TERRORIST TRACKING TASK FORCE
TUESDAY, June 11, 2002 (202) 514-2008
WWW.USDOJ.GOV TDD (202) 514-1888

ATTORNEY GENERAL ANNOUNCES
FLIGHT TRAINING CANDIDATE CHECKS PROGRAM

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Attorney General announced today the introduction of the Flight Training Candidate Checks Program (FTCCP). The FTCCP system was designed to implement the Attorney General's responsibilities under section 113 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA), which Congress passed after September 11th, to conduct checks on aliens seeking U.S. certified training in the operation of large aircraft.

"Carefully screening individuals who come to the United States to learn to fly large aircraft is a safeguard needed to prevent future acts of terrorism," Attorney General John Ashcroft said. "The Flight Training Candidate Checks Program is a new state-of-the-art system designed to protect Americans. This screening system, when fully implemented, will enhance air safety by denying would-be terrorists the keys to the cockpit."

ATSA mandated, among other things, that any non-federal U.S. provider of flight instruction seeking to train an alien in the operation of an aircraft over 12,500 pounds must first have their candidates cleared by the Attorney General. The law states that flight schools must provide information concerning alien candidates so the Attorney General can conduct a risk assessment. The risk assessments are intended to ensure that persons who might constitute a risk under section 113 to aviation or national security not receive flight training. The Attorney General has delegated this authority to conduct risk assessments to the Director of the Foreign Terrorist Tracking Task Force (FTTTF).

Combining the expertise and resources of law enforcement, the Department of Defense, the intelligence community, and the private sector, the FTTTF developed a system with a web-based front end to conduct sophisticated analysis of terror-related risks posed by aliens seeking training covered by
section 113. The Internet-accessible electronic risk assessment system is the first of its kind in the federal government. This web-based application expedites the operation of the risk assessment system, which will be supplemented by fingerprint and name-based criminal history records checks.

The system will be brought on-line in two separate phases; flight training providers who wish to train aliens who already know how to fly large aircraft may use the "expedited processing" system effective with publication in the Federal Register. This option is available immediately to flight training providers who register through their Federal Aviation Administration Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO).

The second phase will not take effect right away. Instead, public comment is being accepted for 30 days pursuant to a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) also published in the Federal Register regarding the web-based notification system for aliens seeking initial flight instruction on covered aircraft.

The FTCCP website address is https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/. The FTCCP helpline for FSDOs, providers and applicants will initially be staffed from 7am to 10 pm EDT 703-414-9535 to facilitate expedited processing.

###

This is what you were looking for...

I wanted to bring this to the top due to the YGBSM thread.

It's been on this board for 5 months....maybe you should search the board before you begin (redundant) threads.

Latest resources

Back