New FAR/AIM and FAR/FC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8er23

Depends on the commercial publisher. The books you buy may not be current when you buy them. The FAR is updated, well, whenever the FAA creates or modifies a regulation. That can be any time.

The AIM gets changed periodically also. I'm not sure of the schedule, but over the past few years it's tended to be 2X a year in August and February. So, that "2006" AIM you buy probably has the August update and is obsolete in certain sections by the end of February.

Anyone do the Jepp FAR/AIM with the revisions? Trying to decide whether or not I want to update my Airway Manual, Airport Directory, Flitestar and FAR/AIM....not sure.

-mini

mini, I think that all of the publishers provide a mid-year update. Most do it for free.

If you want the official versions, they can be purchased from the Government Printing Office website at:

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-018.html

There, you can order a subscription to the AIM for $155 and hard copies of the Regs (Parts 1-139) in three hole punch format for about $125 or in microfische format for $8.

JUST when I threw out my microfische machine! Drat!

Andy Neill said:
If you want the official versions, they can be purchased from the Government Printing Office website at:

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-018.html

There, you can order a subscription to the AIM for $155 and hard copies of the Regs (Parts 1-139) in three hole punch format for about $125 or in microfische format for $8.

JUST when I threw out my microfische machine! Drat!

That is crazy. 155 for the AIM??? I do not understand.

As the guys at the shop where I get my car fixed say, "We do three kinds of work here.....Fast, Good, and Cheap.....but only two at a time."

If it is important to you to have the latest changes as they come out, go for the three-ring binder and lay out the $500+. (I had the official government issued three ring binder when I took my CFI checkride - and showed the DE WHY he needed to put on his shoulder harness since he was not aware of the new requirement - but that was available to me at my work) If you'll settle for getting your changes once a year, you can get it much more cheaply.

av8er23 said:
That is crazy. 155 for the AIM??? I do not understand.
A guaranty of currency. Updates as they occur. That can be important and worth it if your are, say the compliance officer for a Part 135 or 121 operation.

Of course, you can always read the current AIM online.

Latest resources

Back