Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fartknocker

Pitot Heat Operator
Has anyone tried the new DC X11? They look like they might be comparable to the Bose X. The DCs are about $200 cheaper. The new DCs also have an aux input feature on them.

I am wanting an ANR headset for the 727. I was wondering if anyone likes the Bose or the DC?

Any input from current Bose users on the 727?

Here's a link for the DC X11....

http://www.davidclark.com/X11/index.html

And the Bose X....

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=h eadsetx_headset_index

Thanks.

I can't speak for the 727, but I use the Bose in the ERJ (very noisy due to the wind) and it works quite well. It cuts out the rumble due to the shock wave right above my head. Some of the wind it still there, but it is very quiet. It's also very comfortable. I bought it and a day later, DC announced this one. Most of our guys use standard, non-ANR DCs (13.4s) in the ERJ, so I'm curious as to how this would work.

My only complaints about the Bose are no audio input and the mic is quite sensitive and hence, a lot of wind noise is heard over the intercom when on Hot Mic. Other than that, I'm very satisfied! If anyone gets this, let me know how it is.

The lightspeed 30G is $400 cheaper than the Bose, has better noise attenuation, and an audio input jack.

Scott

dhampton said:
Check this out too. Works with off-the-shelf Bose quiet comfort 2. Has aux input.

www.uflymike.com
Hey,
Might work ok, one minor problem, its not a TSO'd product, and therefore not a "headset" as defined by the regs. Anyone who can produce the TSO numbers would be providing a great service. Since 121 regs require a headset below 18,000 ft. this may be a possible issue in the future.
PBR

sstearns2 said:
The lightspeed 30G is $400 cheaper than the Bose, has better noise attenuation, and an audio input jack.

Scott

Used this for a while in a Saab 340... cheap plastic construction caused it to break (the ear cups) several times although LS was quick to fix it. The attenuation was outstanding but the overall size of the headset was HUGE (but light) and at the time it was NOT TSO'd (and I still don't think it is.)

Overall I ended up switching to DC 13X and that was much sturdier, sounded as good, clamped worse, but was TSO'd. I made a good choice.

Moving to the 737 I switched to Telex 850's which are "ok" for now with reasonable but not great ANR. Since we don't have an intercom you kinda have to uncup an ear and therefore I don't know if I want to spend the $$$ and deal with the larger size of the Bose options or DC 11's or whatever since I will lose some ANR benefit when I uncup an ear.

PBRstreetgang,

Actually the reg says boom mic not headset.

Not sure about the TSO part, can you cite the reg so I can look it up?

(g) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level. No person may operate a large turbine engine powered airplane or a large pressurized airplane with four reciprocating engines manufactured after October 11, 1991, or on which a cockpit voice recorder has been installed after October 11, 1991, unless it is equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signal received by a boom or mask microphone in accordance with §25.1457(c)(5) of this chapter.

ERfly said:
I can't speak for the 727, but I use the Bose in the ERJ (very noisy due to the wind) and it works quite well. It cuts out the rumble due to the shock wave right above my head. Some of the wind it still there, but it is very quiet. It's also very comfortable. I bought it and a day later, DC announced this one. Most of our guys use standard, non-ANR DCs (13.4s) in the ERJ, so I'm curious as to how this would work.

My only complaints about the Bose are no audio input and the mic is quite sensitive and hence, a lot of wind noise is heard over the intercom when on Hot Mic. Other than that, I'm very satisfied! If anyone gets this, let me know how it is.

the only shockwave i know of in the ERJ is the one in your chest from the paycheck!! wa wa wa. jk

The UflyMike is an INCREDIBLE idea. I have flown with quite a few guys that love them. There are a couple of downsides that I feel need to be addressed.

- if the batteries go dead, you can't hear ATC
- the cords are non-reversable so if you're an FO, the cord will have to cross from your left ear to the a/c jacks.
- and a really silly one. The "flexible" boom mike needs a swivel.

The huge upside is the $$ and it's great for your ipod. (while commuting)

Gup

I own one of the traditional Bose aviation headsets (Bose X) and it's just way too much headset for the 757/767. I purchased the UFlyMike and the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and I love it! The headset folds up flat and has a great case that can easily be stored on the top of your pubs in your flight bag.

Latest resources

Back