New DC X11 vs. Bose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
one more bit...

Another aspect to the noise is your radio volume. I noticed while wearing the Bose, my radio volume on the control volume is darn near off and I can still hear the radios fine. The guys I flew with that wore the installed Tellex had their volume almost maxed out pumping more noise into their ears just to hear what ATC was saying over the loud 727.

I hate to sound like a Bose commercial, but I really like the headset and I think it goes a LONG way to protecting your hearing. As for the intercom at FedEx. 98% of the crews or better don't use the intercom - they simply YELL above the 727 noise level. I had a few flights where the Captain (also wearing a Bose) said; "we both have headsets, lets use the intercom."

I never had to pop an ear off in flight.

Goose17

I tried a Telex noise-canceling headset (I can't remember the model) several years ago. I ended up returning it since hearing ATC in both ears sometimes made crew communication tough (like most 727 crews, we never used the intercom). Plus, the noise canceling made me hear a lot more of the funny noises that old 727 made.....

That balance control on the Bose might be just what the Dr. ordered, though...

Goose17 said:
Another aspect to the noise is your radio volume. I noticed while wearing the Bose, my radio volume on the control volume is darn near off and I can still hear the radios fine. The guys I flew with that wore the installed Tellex had their volume almost maxed out pumping more noise into their ears just to hear what ATC was saying over the loud 727.

I hate to sound like a Bose commercial, but I really like the headset and I think it goes a LONG way to protecting your hearing. As for the intercom at FedEx. 98% of the crews or better don't use the intercom - they simply YELL above the 727 noise level. I had a few flights where the Captain (also wearing a Bose) said; "we both have headsets, lets use the intercom."

I never had to pop an ear off in flight.

Goose17

This sounds good to me. I might have to try them out. I was hoping to be able to hear the crew while getting the ANR benefits as well. It sounds like I may be able to do just that. Thanks, Goose17. :beer:

David Clark

Back when a career in aviation was in doubt, I was hedging my employment bet with a regional sales manager for the west coast with David Clark. Customer service is great and the aviation sector sells itself.

Here is some food for thought. There may be a one year written warranty with the DC, BUT, if you send in a headset that is broken or in need of some type of repair. It will be done even three years after owning the headset. If you write a letter saying how much you love the headset and throw some other "good reviews" The folks at DC will cover the repair and sometimes replace with a new headset. Not official and is not the "official written policy" but rather an unwritten one.

OBTW, This same technique works with Ray Ban sunglasses. Sat on a pair of avaiators, wrote a letter, sent it in, and in a month or so I had a brand new pair of sunglasses... Free of charge!

Bose is a good product, but they will charge you if the headset is out of warranty.

I second Mike's Product... not cause he works for us. ;)

Half the WN fleet has em. Great idea, wish I came up wit it. :(

Asked Mike, here's his reply...

PBRstreetgang said:
Hey,
Might work ok, one minor problem, its not a TSO'd product, and therefore not a "headset" as defined by the regs. Anyone who can produce the TSO numbers would be providing a great service. Since 121 regs require a headset below 18,000 ft. this may be a possible issue in the future.
PBR

"There's no FAA requirement to use a TSO certified headset in any flying
operations. It is not part of the aircraft. There are TSO standards
published by the FAA as a guide to manufacturing headsets, but there is
no FAA requirement to comply with them or go through the TSO process.
We'd put our product up against any "TSO certified" headset for quality,
reliability and performance. We have a number of FAA inspectors who use
our product.

If Flexjet requires it (I think he's re:TSO), then you couldn't use one legally.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,"

Mike
UFlyMike LLC

The UFlyMike looks like a great (cheaper) alternative, unfortunately I have the first series of Bose QC headsets. On the topic of Bose vs. DC, I currently have the DC H10-13X and would put its noise cancelling up against any. Have tried on co-workers' Bose and while much lighter and more comfortable, I prefer having better ENC (or ANR). I am very interested to see a review of the DC X11 as it appears to have the lightweight and portability positives of the Bose.

I have the ufly and love it, especially for the long hauls with mp3. Headsets dont need to be tso'd as they are not attached to the aircraft, kinda like your flashlight. I asked this question and no you dont need a tso.

Just got the DC X11. Pretty happy so far! It's very comfortable, light weight, and not bulky. I'm using them in the Aero Commander right now, I think it will work better when I get into the Citation. In the Commander as soon as the props go out of sync the ENC seems to be competing. Works great w/ the i-pod and cuts out the music when someone talks and during transmission. It could use more clamping or thicker ear seals and it would REALLY cut out the noise!

Latest resources

Back