New certification to fly EU??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bleeds On

Anyone know more about this? First I've heard of it.

---------------------------------------------------------

New Pilot Rules In Effect In Europe

New rules for foreign pilots and foreign registered aircraft in Europe came into effect on Saturday and, depending on how member states of the European Union are implementing them, could mean that your FAA, Transport Canada or other pilot certificate or ratings are no longer recognized by the
Does anyone know more on this? First I've heard of it.

EASA Part FCL homogenizes crew licensing requirements in all EU states and essentially means that those who want to fly in the EU have to prove competence and compliance with EU rules, rather than just use the credentials of their home country. Depending on the kind of flying involved, it can be a time-consuming and costly endeavor to earn those flight privileges, particularly for IFR.

In an editorial, German magazine Pilot und Flugzeug Editor Jan Brill says the new rule ignores acceptance of European qualifications in other GA nations and makes it costly and inconvenient for those licensed elsewhere to fly in Europe. "We insult our aviation-friends all over the world by rendering their certificates worthless, we repay the openness extended by nations such as Canada, Australia or the United States by pettiness and arrogance," Brill wrote. "To anyone who knows how to fly an aircraft, we're presenting Europe at it's very, very worst." Although the new rules theoretically took effect on April 8, some countries have implemented a two-year grace period.

Just more lunacy out of the EU... file this along side the EU ruling that water doesnt prevent dehydration, or when they issued the regulatory Commission Regulation (EC) 2257/94 ruling that said bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature..."

More EU Rules

Sounds to me like you are still fine to fly your N-registered airplane anywhere in the E.U. with your U.S. pilot certificate. It seems what they are talking about is not being able to convert your U.S. license into an EU license without meeting all their requirements and taking their examinations.

For the E.U. to say you can no longer fly your N-registered airplane with U.S. pilots in the E.U. would be the same as our telling them British Airways, Air France, KLM, Lufthanza, etc., can no longer fly in U.S. airspace.

TransMach

Sounds to me like you are still fine to fly your N-registered airplane anywhere in the E.U. with your U.S. pilot certificate. It seems what they are talking about is not being able to convert your U.S. license into an EU license without meeting all their requirements and taking their examinations.

For the E.U. to say you can no longer fly your N-registered airplane with U.S. pilots in the E.U. would be the same as our telling them British Airways, Air France, KLM, Lufthanza, etc., can no longer fly in U.S. airspace.

TransMach

From what I can tell, if you are a US based aircraft operator, based outside of the EU, with a US FAA licensed crew, you will still be able to operate in and out of the EU with no need to attain any additional license.

I think.

I didn't read any reference to where the crew or aircraft was based. I hope that's all it is. It will be a bigger, more confusing mess than EU-ETS if not.

Anyone know more about this? First I've heard of it.

---------------------------------------------------------

New Pilot Rules In Effect In Europe

New rules for foreign pilots and foreign registered aircraft in Europe came into effect on Saturday and, depending on how member states of the European Union are implementing them, could mean that your FAA, Transport Canada or other pilot certificate or ratings are no longer recognized...

Nope, the Chicago Convention prevents our FAA certificates from NOT being recognized when operating our US registry aircraft. I think it's covered in Article 33, but I'm sure someone will post a reference or correct me.

Ultra

Nope, the Chicago Convention prevents our FAA certificates from NOT being recognized when operating our US registry aircraft. I think it's covered in Article 33, but I'm sure someone will post a reference or correct me.

Ultra

Your right, the NBAA fired off a blurb about this, to its members... if they ain't worried, I'm not going to worry... although the idea of being barred from flying into the EU does seem appealing to me for some such reason...

Latest resources

Back