New base/status bid at ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriStar_drvr

A new base/status bid was issued today by the Chief Pilot. Fifty new Captain slots are open with effective dates of October and November. The openings were split between the 737 and 757. Also, four openings were listed for 737 FOs based in IND.

Of course if they have to backfill all the FO positions left open by those upgrading, that would mean 54 more newhires. There was no mention of reducing the number of L1011 pilots, although the company may not choose to backfill any vacancies in that fleet (I may test this theory as I'm considering bidding the 757). Classes for the upgrades (and I suppose the FOs too) would begin in late July.

Looking at the seniority list, my guess is that he most junior Captain will have a hire date of around November '98. Looks like the five years until upgrade is still holding steady.

Stay away from the 757, stay away!!!

TriStar_drvr said: "I may test this theory as I'm considering bidding the 757"

No no no, I think you are senior to me, so stay away!! You would not like the 757!!!! Stay on the L-10, you will be much happier!!!! You won't be able to get used to not having someone behind you to eat everything you don't out of the crew meals!!! The automated altitude callouts for landing are not said in that oh-so-friendly way from just over your left shoulder!!!! Stay away, stay far far away from the 757!!!!!

Unless of course you are junior to me, then come on over!!!!

Hi TSD!

I just flew into LAX for the first time (in the front) and I saw 2 of your 1011s. One was parked over by 3 Quantas 747s and the other flew in. LAX is a neat place to watch airplanes.

I saw an Air Lingus (sp?) do a go around-it seemed strange, and I couldn't figure out why he went/was sent around. He had his gear in the well and was at least 1000' agl by the approach end of the runway, so he went around very early.

The ground controllers were very helpful there!

Cliff
DRT

atpcliff said:
Hi TSD!

I just flew into LAX for the first time (in the front) and I saw 2 of your 1011s. One was parked over by 3 Quantas 747s and the other flew in. LAX is a neat place to watch airplanes.

I saw an Air Lingus (sp?) do a go around-it seemed strange, and I couldn't figure out why he went/was sent around. He had his gear in the well and was at least 1000' agl by the approach end of the runway, so he went around very early.

The ground controllers were very helpful there!

Cliff
DRT

??

rumor from another thread that ATA was looking at 767's possibly old TWA a/c.

1. any truth to it?
2. i heard TWA had pretty old 767's. is this the best deal or cheapest deal for ATA?

thanks

EMBATP said:
rumor from another thread that ATA was looking at 767's possibly old TWA a/c.

1. any truth to it?
2. i heard TWA had pretty old 767's. is this the best deal or cheapest deal for ATA?

thanks

TWA had some old 767-200's but the 767-300's were not, they were only a couple of years old . The 200's went to DHL so if the rumor is true there are some very nice 300's waiting to go but I don't think they will be cheap.

Latest resources

Back