Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ATP Written Requirements, (what people are missing)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slick1

I think we're all aware that taking the ATP written after July 31, 2014 is going to become a lot more difficult, but I have yet to see anyone key in on this little dagger, buried down deep at the bottom of the FAA's Advisory Circular: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-138.pdf

If you look down at Section 19 B, (see below) you'll find that prior to taking the ATP written test, an applicant will be required to have 4 hours of training in an FTD AND 6 hours of training in an FFS, ("Full Flight Simultor"), Level C or higher having a minimum MTOW OF 40,000 POUNDS.

Clearly the CRJ and ERJ regionals can incorporate some of that training in their standard new hire approved training program. But what about the Dash-8-100/200, EMB-120, Saab, and 1900D operators? This is REALLY gonna make it hard for them to recruit pilots.
Section 19 b. states: FFS.[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A Level C or higher FFS qualified under part 60 is required. As part of the evaluation of the FFS training topics and learning objectives, the FAA reviewed all of the approved FFSs under part 60 including the associated weights of the aircraft they represent. Based on that review, the FAA has determined an FFS representing an aircraft with a maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of at least 40,000 pounds is necessary to meet the objectives of the ATP CTP.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The very next paragraph describes how they can apply for an exception. I would expect the exception requirements to ease, however it may cause problems until they figure it out.

Latest resources

Back