• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AirWis codeshares?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only people managment is sleepy around with is themselves. There is nothing they would like more than a little bit of lube and a box of kleenex. If those jets go anywhere they will go to United; they have to get repainted anyway. The cheese-curd eatin' brainiacs up on Mt.Olympus are in it for one thing---money, money, money. The only growth they care about is the kind that is "risk-free" and profitable. AWAC is not interested in growth for growths sake. Airtran was beggin' them to 70 seaters, an oppurtunity most companies would love to whore themselves out for, but alas, the money wasn't there, honey! These ten Airtran jets will get repainted to look like BIG YOYO, and then we'll get 10 new for our earth shattering 20 jets for UAL(a net increase of only ten---sorry upgrades). Any other pimping will go to the whores who can do it for less.

The ten air tran jets are already slated for U. That is already official and announced on Fri.

Mongo is corect,

8 aircraft will begin service in July for UAL and the last 2 will be moved over in Aug. Details on deployment have not yet been determined. The ATL base will remain open until this is determined.

I think it says a lot about AWAC and its management for pulling out of AirTran without layoffs or furloughs by simultaneously bringing its RJs over to the UAL side of things. Dr. Hwang was current about AWAC’s intentions. We’re not here to grow for growth’s sake. It is an important concept to realize that just because you have the opportunity to fly more aircraft or larger aircraft doesn’t mean you should. The AirTran numbers didn’t make sense to continue, and management had the foresight to work out a deal with UAL to keep these planes flying, before we ever announced we’d be pulling out of AirTran.

Furthermore, I know for a fact (straight from Kevin LeWare) that United has asked us to put in a bid for Dulles flying. We put in a bid for 30 aircraft. Whether we get any or all of those has yet to be seen, but we have a few incentives for United.

First and foremost, no one company can expand to cover the void left by ACA, especially within this relatively short time period. AWAC has some of the most experience management out there and United knows it. We’ve had a very close relationship with UAL for a very long time. It doesn’t matter how low cost a regional is if it doesn’t have the right leadership to manage its resources properly.

Secondly, I am willing to bet that this deal to move 10 aircraft from AirTran to UAL included more than these 10 aircraft. If I were in Appleton, I would have bargained with United, telling them “we have 10 aircraft that you can have right away, and we have financing for another 20 aircraft ready to go within the next several years.” Understand that AWAC is financing these aircraft, NOT United. Obviously AWAC would rather not get into the financing business, but in this case the positives outweigh the negatives. In essence, UAL has very little liability in accepting this deal.

The only reason why we haven’t opened a Dulles base yet is because the “final numbers” from United haven’t been released yet. I’d look for an announcement very soon simultaneously announcing the Dulles base as well as another 20 a/c on top of these 10 that are coming from AirTran.

ILStoMinimums said:
Ever think Jetblue could use a regional express? Or will the coming EMB's cover those type of flights?

NO. They are keeping their RJ program in house once they start taking delivery of their 100 or so jets they ordered.

According to our President of Operations, the 50-seat jets can't make us any money at the rates we charge-- ideally, we can with 100 seats by flying the ERJ-190 farther (projected 2100nm range). Management seems quite excited about their potential use in markets like ROC-MCO (a route AAI now flies in their 117 seat B-717 and one that JBLU pax connect through JFK on currently). As for a new or "old" partner, I could see Air Wisconsin either feeding Ted or maybe supplementing the IAD ops... You guys are great, good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back