• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Touche. I would say only a fool would enter the pattern at an uncontrolled field and be certain that everyone in the pattern had a radio and a transponder.

I don't believe there is any requirement for a radio or even an electrical system in an airplane at an uncontrolled airport unless it sits under class B (30 mile veil) or within class C surface area so long as they stay below 10,000 and don't fly over B or C airspace.

It has been a long time since I instructed but that used to be the case.

I'm surprised how many guys that I fly with don't know how to time there transmissions to ATC. There could be a solid 30+ seconds of silence on the radio but NO they wait until the frequency gets busy before they decide to talk on the radio and end up walking all over everybody.

I guess for some people it takes longer to put there head in gear before engaging there mouth.

What flips my noodle is when some young whippersnapper starts sniffling and talking with a stuffy nose...poor CA is about to catch a cold from him too.

ATC gives a descent clearance at pilot's discretion whichilot acknowledges. 4 minutes later pilot starts down and reports leaving current altitude. Necessary to make that report? I asked a Chicago center controller. He said that the initial acknowledgement was all that was needed and he didn't need nor even want the second call.

It IS/WAS a required call per US Airways manual (although not required per AIM). With the operating manuals' recent migration to LAA system, I am not sure if it is still in there.

Latest resources

Back