Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Airline for Ex-Skybus Pilots (Bring Sun Tan Lotion)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

Maybe ex-Skybus pilots can leverage their contacts to get in with Flydubai given that their former President is now the COO there... Of course you would need to give up the side-stick for a more traditional Boeing yoke. I am not sure how soon they are hiring but it might be worth a shot... Supposed to start up in mid-2009.

flydubai appoints new COO

XPRESS
flydubai, the new low-cost airline formed by the government of Dubai in March, announced today that Kenneth Gile, has joined the company as Chief Operating Officer.

Captain Gile joins flydubai from Skybus Airlines, an American low cost carrier, where he was President and Chief Operating Officer for four years. Before that Captain Gile worked in a variety of positions at Southwest Airlines over a period of 25 years, including Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations.

As Chief Operating Officer of flydubai, Captain Gile will be responsible for the day to day running of the airline and have specific responsibility for strategic planning, in-flight services, ground operations, flight operations, maintenance and engineering, as well as acting as the Director of Operations.

Ghaith Al Ghaith, Chief Executive Officer of flydubai, said: “I am delighted to announce the appointment of Captain Ken Gile to the position of Chief Operating Officer of flydubai. Ken has a wealth of experience working with low cost carriers and we are proud to have been able to attract him to Dubai to work with flydubai. Ken’s experience will be invaluable in getting flydubai off the ground.

“This is our first appointment and a very important one for us. Now that we have made this key appointment, we can move forward with the work of getting our airline ready to begin commercial operations in mid 2009.”

Captain Gile, said: “I am honoured to have been given the chance to get involved with flydubai in such an early stage in its development. This is a very exciting opportunity and I am looking forward to contributing to the success of flydubai.

“I have worked in aviation my whole career, and much of that time has been spent working with low cost carriers, so I believe I have a lot to offer flydubai. The flydubai business model is strong and we are working hard to assemble an unbeatable product and a top class team of individuals. I am confident flydubai is going to be an extremely successful airline and I am proud to be a part of it.”

Captain Gile started his career in the United States Airforce. After six years in the military, he moved to Jeddah with Saudi Arabian Airlines. Captain Gile then returned to the US, where he joined Southwest Airlines as a Pilot and worked his way up the ranks to become Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations.

Captain Gile is married with three children and seven grandchildren.

flydubai was set up by the government of Dubai in March 2008. Last month flydubai placed the largest ever order for Boeing 737 aircraft by a gulf based low cost carrier, when it order 54 737-800s at the Farnborough Air Show.

Last edited:
I am sure plenty of Indian pilots will flock to this airline. Conditions won't be great but they will likely be better than those offered in India. A number of airlines there fly 737NGs.

I am sure plenty of Indian pilots will flock to this airline. Conditions won't be great but they will likely be better than those offered in India. A number of airlines there fly 737NGs.

Excuse me? The Hindu pilots are doing very well at home and there is plenty jobs to be had in India. I suspect that the only pilots flocking for lower paid startups are going to be the cheaper American pilots:rolleyes:

Excuse me? The Hindu pilots are doing very well at home and there is plenty jobs to be had in India. I suspect that the only pilots flocking for lower paid startups are going to be the cheaper American pilots:rolleyes:

How do you know they're all Hindu? Just because they're from India.............

What about cheap Canadian,Brits, Germans......?

Do a little research into contract flying in India, ex pats flying in India are making pretty good money these days.

ex pats flying in India are making pretty good money these days.
Aren't their days also numbered in an effort to provide jobs to Indian Nationals in the future?

Yeah, but whats going to happen when the government stops subsidizing fuel for India?

Is there any pilots dumb enough to apply???

I guess only time will tell if there are any pilots dumb enough to try working at this place. But hey, some were stupid enough to try Skybus(ed). I say that because I saw some leave a VERY stable job for a chance at Skybust(ed).
If any of you do try it then post it here so it'll give a laugh to the rest when this one tanks too.
Best of luck!!

I guess only time will tell if there are any pilots dumb enough to try working at this place. But hey, some were stupid enough to try Skybus(ed). I say that because I saw some leave a VERY stable job for a chance at Skybust(ed).
If any of you do try it then post it here so it'll give a laugh to the rest when this one tanks too.
Best of luck!!

Yeah, but Skybus wasn't funded by the government of Dubai. Flydubai will be owned by (at least substantially owned by) the same outfit that operates Emirates. Slightly different situation with a lot more money to tap...

Due to currency exchange rates the Canadian, Brit and German Pilots are all more expensive than American Pilots these days. They don't flock to Dubai in the same numbers that Americans do.

Latest resources

Back