• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

'Never Say Never' on Bag Fees: Southwest CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I googled SWA ramp pay and found this shared by a SWA ramper on another forum. I wonder if the unions will band together or point the finger at each other when management comes for concessions;

You'll be getting 40 hours base from day one.. There is the occasional mandatory overtime, and that's always doubletime. Overtime works like this. Working voluntary overtime on first off day is time and a half. Working overtime on scheduled work day is time and a half for first 4 hours and double time for all hours after that. That's really the secret to why Southwest ramp agents make so much money. $26 x 1.5 = $39 an hour. $39 x 4 = $156. $26 x 2 = $52 an hour. $52 x 4 = $208. $208 + $156 = $364. That's $364 extra dollars for working that one extra shift per week. That's $728 extra per pay period. That's $1,456 extra per month. That's $17,472 extra per year. I make $54,163 base per year. With that 1 extra shift I now make $71,635 a year. I work with guys who do 2-3 double shifts per week and their pay is well into 6 figures.

$11.12 an hour works out to be $23,165 base. With the 1 overtime shift using the same math you'll make $30,605.

The good part about this job is that despite the low pay at the beginning, if you can stick it out for a few years high pay is a sure thing. The job security is bullet proof. If you make it out of probation and become a card carrying union member you KNOW for sure based on the scale how much you'll be making in "x" amount of years. The union contract is renegotiated every 3-5 years and the pay is always adjusted for cost of living. The last negotiation took the top pay from $24 an hour to $26 an hour. And historically it's always been similar. It's a safe bet that the pay will be over $30 an hour by the time a new hire today reaches top out.

Here is the complete union contract for Southwest Airline ramp agents.
http://twu555.org/uploads/2008-2011 CBA.pdf

Can you say Menzies?

Company is in mediation with 555 as we speak on the sticking point of outsourcing every station to the tune of twenty percent manning so they can flex the manning as needed during the day. It would also kill the rampers golden goose, and they won't stand or sit for it. That and the company wants to limit sick calls to 80 hours per year, about two weeks worth, presently they have twenty weeks, think they'll vote yes or no?....

Company is pretty smart, watch how they ply them with a five buck an hour rate to get what they want.

Last edited:
Back in the day...

...didn't pilots have to take their turn tossing bags (along with working the gate, ticket counter, etc)? Or was that just an orientation thing?

God that guy bragging about making an extra $1400/month made me vomit in my mouth a little...
that pay sucks considering how demanding the job is phsyically... and how much work that guy does.

Granted, he's not a pilot... but we are our own worst enemies.

Reminds me when I was an FO on reserve at a regional... and guys bragging about getting a few hundred bucks more per diem if they were assigned a trip...

I cry myself to sleep some nights thinking about this industry and what it does to people.

1400.00 is alot of money to some people. It is to me . He's slinging bags, probably doesn't need a gym membership and isn't getting shot at. If he likes his boss and his co-workers it sounds like a dream job to me.

...didn't pilots have to take their turn tossing bags (along with working the gate, ticket counter, etc)? Or was that just an orientation thing?

I remember when Cactus started up, all the CSR's were "fully cross-trained." Gate agent, ticket counter, bag thrower, aircaft cleaner, flight attendant. They did it ALL. If memory serves (a rarity), that little program lasted about the first three years.

Reminds me when I was an FO on reserve at a regional... and guys bragging about getting a few hundred bucks more per diem if they were assigned a trip...

I cry myself to sleep some nights thinking about this industry and what it does to people.

A few hundred bucks while at the commuters WAS a SH!T TON of money!!

"There are no plans to charge for bags in 2013," he said in a "Squawk Box" interview.

Maybe for 2014. Standby.

I believed this would come...but it makes perfect business sense...at least they held out....I do love how GK said "we will let the customer tell us..."
such great blame shifting....it's the customer fault...they told us to do it....

whaddya think? oversize and second bag to start? you have to ease them into it!

You'll be getting 40 hours base from day one.. There is the occasional mandatory overtime, and that's always doubletime. Overtime works like this. Working voluntary overtime on first off day is time and a half. Working overtime on scheduled work day is time and a half for first 4 hours and double time for all hours after that. That's really the secret to why Southwest ramp agents make so much money. $26 x 1.5 = $39 an hour. $39 x 4 = $156. $26 x 2 = $52 an hour. $52 x 4 = $208. $208 + $156 = $364. That's $364 extra dollars for working that one extra shift per week. That's $728 extra per pay period. That's $1,456 extra per month. That's $17,472 extra per year. I make $54,163 base per year. With that 1 extra shift I now make $71,635 a year. I work with guys who do 2-3 double shifts per week and their pay is well into 6 figures.

This is sounding a LOT like what the Alaska Airlines rampers were talking like 6 years ago.

Southwest cannot reach their 15% ROIC if they are paying someone 6 figures to throw-bags on airplanes.

I think a rule to the effect of...you don't get overtime until you have ACTUALLY worked 40 hours in a week is in order. If you call in sick for 8 hours then you only get straight time until you have worked at least an additional 8 hours.

Last edited:
sw

Just say the magic "f" word....(furlough)....and watch them get in lockstep....works beautifully with 15 ROIC....

NOT advocating....just looking at other co's old playbooks.....

Never say never...

Latest resources

Back