Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FalconPilot69

Just something to remember.

My first flying job was in the right seat of a King Air B200 flying Part 135. I was supposed to be there for 1 year, but a great opportunity came up where I would double my pay and be flying jets. So, I talk with my boss regarding the opportunity and he tells me that if I don't take it, he will. 45 days later, I start StimuFlite trainging in the Falcon 20. Life is great. Making great money, doing a lot of flying in some great equipment and flying with great guys under Part 91 corporate.

Then, 9/11 happens. The planes go away and everyone is let go with a "sorry this happened and we will pay you till the end of September". So, my wife and I are in a city with no future for flying and we must move back to where we came from. 11 months later, while still looking for work, I get a call from my old King Air boss asking me if I am still looking for a job. It appears that I will be rehired next week.

The moral of the story for all of you who are new to aviation is this; this business is very very small and if you take care of your business properly, you will be rewarded. If you burn your bridges, it will come back to haunt you.

FalconPilot69

Same thing happened to me. I turned down an earlier class date with my current (for the time being anyway) employer that would have required me to leave my previous job with about 5 days notice. I just couldn't do that to a company that treated me so well. Had I taken the earlier class date I never would have sat reserve, would have more base choices, etc.... I kicked myself for this for quite some time right up until I was furloughed and they welcomed my back with open arms. I never even filed for unemployment and was happy as a clam for the 4 mo.'s I was off. I still fly part-time for them for extra $$$ and we have a great working relationship. I couldn't ask for a better part-time gig that I could fall back on again if I needed to.

You're right - make every friend and spare every enemy as the two may reverse roles overnight.

Bridge burning

All very true. I remember that some outfit called me up and wanted me to be in class in four days. I was in my first full-time job and something didn't feel right about it, apart from the fact that I couldn't move myself that quickly. If you're the one who is separating from a company, try to do it the right way and give notice. Let them decide if they want you to leave now. All a place has to say during a reference check is you did not give notice.

Also, see if you can get an LOR before your last day.

It's too bad, though, that the guy sitting across the desk from you oftentimes decides to torch the bridge that you built with him.

Latest resources

Back