Network, Network, Network

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

marcal

Seeing that there are many airlines out there these days requiring a sponsor or to know someone, is it illegal for them to do so? All employers must be equal opportunity employees. At fedex you need 3 sponsors. If you don't have sponsors that seems pretty unequal. Do you think airlines doing this are doing so illegally and what can be done to get around it? Lawsuit? Threat of suit? ETC, Etc.

and how would suing your potential employer benefit an interview candidate?

life ain't fair...get used to it

Sue to get job

I think if you need to sue to get a job, you might not want to work there in the first place. How can you see not having to look over your shoulder everyday for the rest of your career. One slip up and "Bye bye". MGT could have a poster of you waiting for you to step out of line, then slamming you A$$ on the sidewalk. These are just my thoughts on the issue.

Govt is not the answer to everything. Govt can't tell companies who they have to hire, they just give reasons for which you can't deny employment. I don't think EEO has anything to say about requiring contacts and/or references. Despite having everyone be so quick to turn to govt, employers still have the ability to say "no".

Here's my take... If you care, which you shouldn't, but here goes.

Networking has always been a valuable part of any job hunting process, not just in aviation. Put yourself in their shoes, would you rather hire someone that you have absolutely no background on ? Especially considering all of the things YOU CAN'T ask during a job interview.

If you have a problem with the recommendation process you have no one to blame but yourself. After all, aviation (pilots) is a pretty small world. I try and take the time to speak to people everywhere I go (FBO's, Airports, etc...). For example, I have made friends with a complete stranger at JetBlue while airlining to training. The guy just happened to be sitting next to me so I struck up a conversation and because of the fact that we just happened to have mutual friends I'm sure (because he told me so) he'd give me a recommendation there if I asked...

It doesn't take much to know a lot of people in this business.

The only things that companies are not allowed to discriminate against are sex, age, disability, race, creed, national origin and veteran's status. Some states add a couple of things to this, but that pretty much sums it up.

So where does requiring a sponsor fit into those above "not allowed" discrimination?

It doesn't. UAL got in trouble for not hiring women and minorities, not because they hired too many military guys.

I bet you could get a good labor lawyer and file a discrimination lawsuit against FedEx for "requiring" internal recommendations. It's not fair to us that don't know anyone that works there to be discriminated against like that. Most of us are more that qualified to work there otherwise.

RJDC said:
I bet you could get a good labor lawyer and file a discrimination lawsuit against FedEx for "requiring" internal recommendations. It's not fair to us that don't know anyone that works there to be discriminated against like that. Most of us are more that qualified to work there otherwise.

Woe is me, if you are RJDC!

Now grow up or better yet, go away!

RJDC said:

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Except for possibly the RJDC.

Latest resources

Back