Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJ_Driver

The Man
Spoke to a NetJets pilot recently who told me that upgrades were 6mos after date of hiring nowadays???? Any truth to this?

CRJ_Driver said:
Spoke to a NetJets pilot recently who told me that upgrades were 6mos after date of hiring nowadays???? Any truth to this?
I have heard the opposite - it takes a lot longer to get to the LHS. However, with recent departures due to the laughable TA, it might be lower than a few years. Perhaps with more Beechjets arriving, time to the left-hand seat will be reduced...

Question for the NJA people out there - when do the Sovereigns start to arrive on the line and will that have an impact on hiring over the short run? Will newhires get a shot at the Sovereign or will most start on the Beechjet, Ultra, Excel, etc.?

Last edited:
Easy does it Gordon! Those two awards were due to a Huge effort that involved almost 1000 of our pilots. The plan was to hold off bidding the 400xp and let the two most junior 400xp FO's get the award thus giving 115 FO's captains pay per the by-pass pay section in our contract. Dont plan on seeing that again.

As far as upgrade time goes...there are over 400 FO's on captains pay now at NJA. Any new contract will have a policy that will require any FO's on captain by-pass pay to have a standing bid for captain. This means that if you hired on here today, you would have to wait for well over 400 FO's to be awarded captain befor you get a shot.

A conservitive estimate on upgrade would be 5 years.

I've been here two years and I wont see the left seat for two or three more years. Good news is I was one of the guys that just got the by pass pay! Takes the sting out of cleaning lav's!

Think long and hard before coming here. Do your home work. Untill we get a contract, you wont see the 7&7 schedule for a long time as well.

Good luck.

CRJ_Driver said:
No truth whatsoever!
It will take several years for all of the current FOs to upgrade and there will be no more efforts where the entire membership holds off on bids to allow junior FO's to upgrade. That was a one time effort because those FOs, at their time of hire, expected bypass pay like all of the rest of us received. That changed shortly after 9/11. Any newhire today goes in with the knowledge that he will be stuck on FO pay for at least 3 years, maybe more.

paulsalem said:
Pilots I talk to at NJA say 6-8 months. One in managment, one an instructor pilot.

I wanna know Who?

paulsalem said:
Pilots I talk to at NJA say 6-8 months. One in managment, one an instructor pilot.
All I can say is that you had better question your sources and ask them why they think there will be some rapid change in the near future. Pilots hired 2 years ago just received captain bypass pay because of an extraordinary one-time effort to allow junior FOs to bid and be awarded the 400XP. Those pilots hired 2 years ago are not and have not been able to hold any of the bids in the LAST 2 YEARS. There are another 400 plus senior FOs that are on bypass pay that will, under a new contract, have to bid every bid in their fleet or risk reverting back to FO pay. Tell your friends to put down the crack pipe and double check their info. Upgrades for a guy hired off the street today are a long, long way off.

I upgraded in two weeks...it's just a matter of timing!

Hawkered said:
I upgraded in two weeks...it's just a matter of timing!
Well bully for you. Why don't you let us know your date of hire so that folks won't think that a current newhire can expect to receive an upgrade in two weeks.

Latest resources

Back