NetJets PTO and Vacation Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was wondering how your PTO days work.

So are we. :D Seriously, the contract vote results won't be in until the 7th, and we haven't had any PTO system up to this point. So it's all new for us, too.

I know you can accumulate up to 75( 1 per month). Are these Flex days that can be used at any time? 1 day or multiples? Can they be used for Personal time? How does that work?

Short version: You accrue one day a month, to use for PTO or sick time. If you accrue more than 24 of them, they move to a long-term bank (up to 51 more days) that can only be used for disability or FMLA. Alternately, you can elect to sell back the days over 24, and bank/invest/waste the money yourself. That's the option I'm choosing.

The PTO days have nothing to do with vacation whatsoever. That's handled separately.

As other have said, you can't use one in the middle of a tour -- you'll have to touch the end of a tour with PTO days, because the contract stipulates that a PTO award can't result in a tour of 4 or fewer days.

Your best bet to get the most number of Friday evenings home, for Bengals' example, would be to find a fleet with a Saturday start. That would get you home on a Friday, so if you bid for Friday PTOs, you'd only lose one day for that. (Or you could roll the dice that you'd get home early on Friday, but that's not likely; I usually do some flying in the morning, then airline home in the afternoon/evening of my last day.)

Also is the current PTO policy changing if the new TA is ratified?

Yes. We don't have a PTO policy right now -- only sick time. This is all new for us, if it passes.

As far as using it: A first-year pilot can't use any personal days. Second-year can use 3, third-year can use 4, fourth gets 5, fifth gets 6, and anyone with more than 6 years' seniority can use up to 7 personal days each year.

Hope that helps.

I'm not really arguing the details, just trying to make sure I understand what you mean by "half or just over half".

Half or just over means, you bid a 7/7 line you will get one half of the fridays off. If those games mean that much to you, you throw your vacations in the part of the calender, and maybe you get a couple of PTOs and there you have it. However expecting to get to everyone is wishful thinking. As for bidding a PBS for fridays off, could work in theory, in practice however, time will tell on that one, but knowing scheduling I won't bet on it either. Getting home on a friday can sometimes be a issue if you are a 7/7 guy coming home on that day. I usually land at 8pm on average on my last day.

As far as using it: A first-year pilot can't use any personal days. Second-year can use 3, third-year can use 4, fourth gets 5, fifth gets 6, and anyone with more than 6 years' seniority can use up to 7 personal days each year.

Hope that helps.

I've mostly got it...I think.

Sounds funny, though, that by the end of the second year a new hire will have accrued a full bank of 24 PTOs and will only have been allowed to use 3 for personal use? Sounds like implied encouragement to <cough, cough> call in sick rather than schedule days off as needed - not a good situation for pilot or employer to my way of thinking.

I guess this is kind of premature speculation on my part since the program hasn't even been put into place yet. Just curious how people think this will work (or not) in reality.

Sounds funny, though, that by the end of the second year a new hire will have accrued a full bank of 24 PTOs and will only have been allowed to use 3 for personal use? Sounds like implied encouragement to <cough, cough> call in sick rather than schedule days off as needed - not a good situation for pilot or employer to my way of thinking.

Well hey, it's 3 more than we get now. ;) Right now, the cough-cough is the only option we have, other than requesting an unpaid LOA. The TA also includes a provision to swap tours (once per 4-month bid) with another pilot in the same fleet and seat. That might let you cover an important day, too.

Hi!

If U R on the 7/7 schedule, can you sway a week with another pilot???

cliff
INT

Hi!

Yes. I wanted to know if you could switch weeks. That would mean you would be 14/14 until you got back to your normal 7/7.

cliff
INT

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back