NetJets pilot qusetion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

M-crit

Hey net jets pilots, who throws bags for your customers. Is that the FO's duty or do the FBO Line workers do it?

I'm not NJ, but I'll answer. The person who loads the bags is the one who is in position to do so. I will gladly take turns with my F.O. to load bags, but he usually is in position (by his choice) to git 'er done. Line personnel help when they're around, but they're not always around.

Bottom line, we hump a LOT of bags.

The above answer is correct-probably in all the fractionals. Whoever is there does the job, sometimes both if your rack holds 750 lbs of anything from gold to precious food that some of the owners feel they can't find in PBI. The most agravating thing is the owners will throw 20's and 50's at the line guys who mainly stand there while you're busting your butt in HOU in mid August.

Pilots throw bags unless they don't feel comfortable with a bag in question (lifting it). Sometimes an aircraft will only allow 1 person to hanlde a bag while loading it due to the shape of the plane. There are just some bags that are too big.

The rampers stand there and look at you while breaking wind. Then the Owner tips them $20-$50.

Suck it up and throw the bags. Its really not that bad. Its really about the only physical labor we do. Ok its not the best job in the world but its certainly not the worst. I'm sure 90% of us could find a better paying job with a better QOL, but thats not why we're in this. At least not for me...I wouldn't list not throwing bags on my contract negotiations list. I'd glady do that to be home an extra day, or make an extra 20 bucks a day..Just my opinion

Rampers. They are there for that reason and they'll get the tip anyway. Might as well make them work for it.

SAEflyer said:
Suck it up and throw the bags. Its really not that bad. Its really about the only physical labor we do. Ok its not the best job in the world but its certainly not the worst. I'm sure 90% of us could find a better paying job with a better QOL, but thats not why we're in this. At least not for me...I wouldn't list not throwing bags on my contract negotiations list. I'd glady do that to be home an extra day, or make an extra 20 bucks a day..Just my opinion

After a period of workman's comp due to three bulging discs in my lower back-lucky it wasn't worse-I will request line service help and tip them myself with unGodly heavy bags. I'm still crawling up into the baggage compartment and doing the heavy lifting-to a point. I don't think this thread was about not wanting to suck it up. That's the problem with pilots-and management is the first to realize and take advantage of this-we are always willing to go above and beyond to get the job done.

Last edited:
Ask Grizz about loading a bag that "looked" light.

If i have any doubt i have the rampers do it or I call my partner over and we lift it together safely.

The Ultra made my back ache for years and years. Lift, bend, twist, push. Blow out back.

Depends on who your flying with. If your with an idot senior guy, he's gonna make you do it all and then take ANY tip for himself. If your with someone cool, then you work together as a team and you both do it.

Guitar rocker said:
...and then take ANY tip for himself.

Take a tip? What's that all about?

Oh, yea. It's that thing that is "given", then gets disputed on my expense report. The verb "take" threw me there for a sec...

Most rampers do a great job, but there are those FBO's where they all want to stand at the steps and greet all the famous people coming off the airplane. You nudge and point to the guy leaning out the baggage door waiting to hand bags down. Then sometimes they'll move. Not always.

Latest resources

Back