Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJA Capt said:
It's excellent to commute 4 times/month...Instead of 2??:confused:

Most of our commuters want the 7/7. You only commute 2x and don't spent 2 of your 3 days off travelling. A 4/3 commute sounds painful:eek:

I'll let you know Nov 22nd.
In aug, I had 2-day back to backs. The first 2 day had an 0430 show and the second two day had a release time of 2345. I would gladly take 4/3 over my sched in aug.

I just left SkyWest after getting about 85% up the seniority list. I was on 8-year pay, and a claim of W2 wages in excess of 75k smack of the need for random drug testing.

I consider myself a crafty bastard when it comes to picking up extra time (bragging: once got paid 18 hours for one day of work), but the pay just isn't that good.

Take the Netjets job. Better pay, better benefits, and you can kiss off the days of 36 month RJ upgrades anyway. They're gone and not coming back.

And if the airlines are your #1 destination, working for an airline won't help. It's all about who you know, as the 2,000 or so regional jets flying in the US are flown by 10,000 or so pilots who'd like to get the hell out. IOW, everybody has 1000 jet PIC, your ability to differentiate yourself will have a far greater effect on your career than your 121 time.

But if I were in your shoes, neither job would be my first choice.

CheckandSet said:
At net jets donesn't a new captain start at year 1 capt pay?
Do you earn 24 hr per deim when on a trip?

And no- I did not count my 60 cent raise I denied! Plus your just using a 75 hr month- most crews earn around 85 to 100 hrs of pay a month.

ok

5 year capt at SkyWest 63/hr x 100hr/month x 12 months = 75600

5 year fo SkyWest 38hr x 100hr/month x 12 mothns = 45600

be-400xpdriver said:
ok

5 year capt at SkyWest 63/hr x 100hr/month x 12 months = 75600

5 year fo SkyWest 38hr x 100hr/month x 12 mothns = 45600
121 can't fly more than 1000 hours per year. Generally to figure out yearly pay, multiply the hourly rate by 1000. Few people will max out, but jr man, underblock, etc will result in approx pay = 1000 flight hours, so $63,000 and $38,000.

Ultra Grump said:
121 can't fly more than 1000 hours per year. Generally to figure out yearly pay, multiply the hourly rate by 1000. Few people will max out, but jr man, underblock, etc will result in approx pay = 1000 flight hours, so $63,000 and $38,000.

Yeah but they can get paid for more than flying. Example day one just a leg DEN-ICT. Only 1.1 hours flying but get paid 3.75hrs for working that day. So they might only fly 85 but get paid for 100 is what they other guy/gal was refering to.

Again, an example:

In 2004, block hours: 817.

Credit hours (includes 6 weeks training): 1236.

Really depends on what you wan't. Skywest Training is first class and we are now paying new hires again. First year is a little rough but great place to work. You get much better travel benifits for you and your family. Plus you don't have to throw bags serve coffee. NJA you will fly some cool equipment but still a corporate outfit trying to run like an airline. As an FO you can't even fly with PAX on board unless you have 250 hours. Lots more time spent flying the the back of airlines just getting to where you are trying to go. I have never been to impressed with FSI training mostly a ticket school where few of the instructors even have time in the airplane. YOu will go to some better destinations and stay at some better hotels but you will be on call as they can call you 10 hours into your overnight and make you go to work. More flexability at SKYW being able to trade trips or pick up extra flying. Lots more growth on the way here too. Either way good luck

Chairman said:
Really depends on what you wan't. Skywest Training is first class and we are now paying new hires again. First year is a little rough but great place to work. You get much better travel benifits for you and your family. Plus you don't have to throw bags serve coffee. NJA you will fly some cool equipment but still a corporate outfit trying to run like an airline. As an FO you can't even fly with PAX on board unless you have 250 hours. Lots more time spent flying the the back of airlines just getting to where you are trying to go. I have never been to impressed with FSI training mostly a ticket school where few of the instructors even have time in the airplane. YOu will go to some better destinations and stay at some better hotels but you will be on call as they can call you 10 hours into your overnight and make you go to work. More flexability at SKYW being able to trade trips or pick up extra flying. Lots more growth on the way here too. Either way good luck

A lack of research can really make one appear uninformed. Get ready for the REAL scoop:

1. NJA training is first class as well. MANY of our newhires, especially former airline, will tell you it's the most difficult they have had. Oh, and the first year is not "a little rough".

2. Your "travel benefits" at the airlines suck. At NJA we earn a fairly high amount of frequent flyer miles so we can travel on a real guaranteed-space ticket (we also attain elite status on many carriers so I sit in first-class when available). I have several vacations per year that are 100% FREE. This includes the hotels as well. We use mostly Hilton and Marriott properties (and earn our points) and are Diamond elite members because of it!

3. Who cares if you can't fly with pax until you have 250 hours? Every other leg is a ferry and you will fly those. Some of those legs are longer than the pax legs. Also, you will hit 250 hours in about 6-8 months and then we swap legs regardless of pax (ok, this IS at the discretion of the Captain).

4. We don't spend "lots of time in the back of airlines". We typically airline out on day 1 and home on the last day. Personally I get to pick up one of our company planes on day 1 and often ferry it home on the last day. Mid-tour airlining has been rare. Also, who cares? We airline on our duty-day, with a company paid ticket. Yes it's hard work. Miss, I will have another Coke!

5. ON CALL??? WTFO? This one really surprises me: Due to a little regulation called FAR 91K, they absolutely CANNOT contact you 10 hours into your rest!! We are briefed PRIOR to shutdown on one day for our show-time on the next day. If I am shutdown at 5pm on Wednesday and am given a show-time of 9am on Thursday and plans change overnight, then tough crap, they cannot call me. I have had more time off on overnights since this reg went into effect last February than I can shake a stick at. When we do have a couple of "short overnights" (which for us is a min of 10 hours), then we call in fatigued and ask for more rest tonight. We have a policy that a fatigue call is not to be questioned.
Also, our 10 hour "rest clock" is always started when we ARRIVE AT THE HOTEL.

6. Let's not even get into "growth".

I have been here 5 years and have averaged 425 flight hours per year. I travel only on "work days". Every other week is a 7 day vacation and when I actually use a vacation I am off for 21 days. I do this 3 times per year. I also have another 12 "sick days" per year that pretty much give me 2 more 21-day off periods per year. I pocket most of my per-diem, and get good catered meals from the company.

So please, if you are trying to compare the two, PLEASE grab a NJA pilot in some FBO and sit down with him or her, and ask for the REAL scoop.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back