NetJets or SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyfish said:
1.) Rarely happens. I welcome days when I sit in a FBO. As far as the food, I have never had trouble getting more than I need. Better yet, grab a crew car and get a hot meal.
2.) Sometimes happens, I usually get flown back to my base by 7pm. or earlier. But I usually do a revenue trip or two on my last day.
3.) Jumpseated for 5 years as a former 121 guy. Hated it, don't care if I ever did again. I use my airline miles and take my family with. Usually can take 2 round trips a year wife and 2 kids included.
4.)crap pay now, yes. But, I believe we improve dramatically in the next contract.
5.)Paid. And not worthless.
6). I offer pax legs to all FO's from the right seat. Only 2 have taken me up on it. Most like to fly left seat on empty leg. Big deal anyway.
7.) Part of the job, so what.

While there are a lot of negatives out there about NJA (certainly the pay needs to improve big time soon), it is refreshing to hear some positive voices on this forum because most of the posters focus on just the negatives. No job is perfect... But this one can certainly be improved. I've heard a lot of negatives about Skywest too.

Well this is my first post here...But I've been here at Netjets for 6 years now...I wouldn't say don't come here but I would say be sure and get the facts first....

Fact 1 don't believe what the company tells you before you get hired...I made the mistake of believing them and it cost my 6 months in a crash pad and a year with no extended days on FO pay....

Fact 2 There has been a huge shift in the attitude of the pilots here over the past 5 years...It's all been negative...Hell we get excited now over a little billboard that SU put up in CMH...Pretty pathetic but something to cheer about...

Fact 3 Upgrade time to Capt is well over 4 years now...We did have one coup recently to get a bunch of 2 year FO's on capt pay but I don;t see that happening for at least another 2 years...All bids are going senior...In fact many are bidding out of larger airplanes to get better schedules in smaller ones...In other words capt are bidding for the open capt slots...Doesn't leave much of a chance for FO's to get the bids...

Fact 4 no one knows what the future will hold...Things are just as much a crap shoot as they were 5 years ago...To be honest if I weren't so old I would choose a different profession all together...Actually I might even become an RN...Quality of life, good pay and home every night are much more important as I age and I miss my kids...

Fact 5 you have only yourself to look at in the mirror when you decide...But make sure you ask an FO here how his life is before you ask a Capt..

What He Said

I was going to answer all the numbered points, but flyfish beat me to it so I will just ditto what he said, well put.

And he fly fishes, must be a smart one in my book. Waiting for the spring hatches myself....

TurboJetCpt said:
Go to Skywest.

Agreed. If things get better here with the next contract, you can always try here again later. You and TurboJetCpt.

2nd year jet at skywest - you will make around 45,000. The flying is not as cool as corporate flying, but I think a job at sky west is a whole lot better than cleaning nasty aircraft when you ready to go home.

CheckandSet said:
The flying is not as cool as corporate flying, but I think a job at sky west is a whole lot better than cleaning nasty aircraft when you ready to go home.

Not always as bad as Check&Set makes it sound, but it is a fact of life on the road sometimes. Hopefully, your capt won't make you do it all yourself.

If you decide to come here, good luck! Nevertheless, I agree with the suggestion to go to Skywest and re-apply if things get better with the contract.

You can always get another job with 121 time under your belt. Time at Netjets is another matter.

BTW If you are looking for PIC time to go onto bigger and better definately do not come to NJA...Ask some of the 3 and 4 year capts how often they actually fly as capt....

I think there are two things you should be concerned with: 1) What is my longterm plan? 2) Do I want to fly 121 or 135/91? I fly 121 and although some friends at the Fractionals make more money than I do, I wouldn't want all the non flying related B.S. that they do. I like showing up and being a pilot. I don't have to flight plan, load bags, be a FA, sit around at FBO's. When you think about it......all those extra jobs they better pay more than a 121 operator.

Latest resources

Back