NetJets (or any frax) & 121 jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ForgedBlade

What's the general consensus on Frax guys having the ability to catch a 121 jumpseat? We had a person from NetJets ask for a jumpseat on us last week and as far as we knew, they weren't on ours (or any others) "lists". We let that person on anyway, but we were both sure that the 91 operators wouldn't have any 121 priveleges for jumpseating. Any opinions? Just curious.

We also operate under a 135 certificate.
Some of the commuter's and regional's will let us jumpseat. I know we did when I was at commutair. But that is not saying much because we let everyone and anyone jumpseat.
Also, I know southwest is pretty good about giving us a ride.
I was airlineing (sp) home from somewhere in TX a few months ago (with ticket), and the captain asked if I had paid for the ticket, and said I was welcome to jumpseat. I was kind of shocked.

In the post 9/11 world we F9 pilots have little say about off line jumpseaters. We could deny boarding, but trying to get someone who isn't on the list on board could be tricky.

The gate agents check ID against the list, assign a seat in back, and have the pilot stop by and say hello/show us their ID on the way in.

That being said I try and go up to the podium on every stop. If you see the captain it can't hurt to ask. If there is a way most will try and help you get home.

I was EJA for 3+ years and understand:)

Jumpseating

I know of only one guy at our company that jumpseats and he does it usually on SW short hops. Flexjet has both 91 and 135 certs. I tried jumpseating a few years ago (pre 9/11) and got torn a new one from a National Airlines captain who literally detonated in my face. I thought the poor guy was going to have a stroke when a simple "no" would have sufficed. He did fill me on his view of "Flexjets, Netjets, Santulli and dem guys...operating illegally and whatnot." Apparently, he had been making a comfortable living as a G-IV captain in SoCal when his company/owner sold the plane and bought a Netjets share. Then he made that point that I was probably making more money than him. (Right...a Flexjet FO making more bread than 757 Captain; even at National thats ridiculous.)

Well, at the end of all this, he changed his mind and let me ride but still made me feel like a heel. I fully understood his point that there is very little chance a 121 pilot would be able to get reciprocation from us. Most everyone I fly with would be happy to have someone ride with us on empty legs, but how often is an airline guy/girl going to need a ride from CRG to JYO? Needless to say, I haven't tried the jumpseat since. If I need to go anywhere, I buy a ticket or drive.

Re: Jumpseating

LXJ31 said:
Well, at the end of all this, he changed his mind and let me ride but still made me feel like a heel.

What a prick. The consolation prize for him is kissing your butt when he's your new-hire F/O. Oops, was that cruel?

ForgedBlade said:
We let that person on anyway, but we were both sure that the 91 operators wouldn't have any 121 priveleges for jumpseating.

It's sort of "in the eye of the beholder..."

There is no regulation stipulating who gets jumpseats and who doesn't. Some companies say 135 and up. Some say 121 and up. Some say "only those on our list and at xyz priority based on the moon."

The "lists" you refer to are usually negotiated between the company, union the other company, and the other union.

As a frac pilot, I would never count on a jumpseat, but I would never hesitate to ask if it meant getting home a little earlier.

The worst answer would be like that national pilot described above. I would not hesitate to tell him to kiss my $#&.

F9 Driver said:
If there is a way most will try and help you get home.

I was EJA for 3+ years and understand:)

I thought that EJA always bought tickets for their pilots to get to/from home. Is this not the case?

J41Driver,

EJA ALWAYS bought tickets to/from home "gateway," but if I wanted to get anywhere else I'd thumb it or buy a ticket. I only ment that I understand that you have few if any options to jumpseat as a frax pilot.

There was a looser who got himself fired from EJA just before I was hired by jumpseating and trading in his fully refundable "Y" fare ticket upon getting home. He got EJA a bad rap for a while, and was fired for his trouble.

Fracwashback,

The deal is today that each airline can fill the BACK with whoever they choose. There are company rules although no FAR's governing who and how many get the free seats in back. Depending on the company breaking these rules can get you just as fired as violating a FAR. The actual jumpseat in the cockpit is tightly controlled.

It can be tough to get on as a jumpseater even if you are on the list (eg. UAL only allows as many jumpseaters as there are jumpseats on the airplane even if there are 50 empty open seats.) We, and several others like ATA & UsAir, will fill the back with pilots.

Just remember that the jumpseat is a privledge not a right.

That FO who is kissing your but today just may be able to give you the recomendation tomorrow that will get you a job where you don't have to include your per diem on your mortgage application:)

Latest resources

Back