• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GooseHZ

getting in the way
Any current or past NJME pilots,

would you please help me with some info.....

pay?
Living in Jeddah?
how safe is it if i want to bring the wife?

things like that....

PM if you want to......

thanks

I am curious as well. I have a buddy who has an interview in Dallas on the 14th. He has read up on the company but has no info on any interview gouge. It sounds like the pay is great and tax free.

Spent lot's of time in Saudi. It is pretty safe....in your compound. I would not like to bring my family there because I would never feel safe leaving the compound with them and who wants to live in there for years? Plus it is hotter than Hades and it stinks. Last summer (04) I helped develop the emergency evacuation plan for all US citizens from Saudi while the nutjobs were attacking them all over the country. Seems the Saudis got a grip on things and have rounded most of them up but we got very close to executing that plan. I would go to the State Dept website and check out what they have to say about Saudi Arabia.

Jeddah in short doses is okay. I did three two month plus stints there in the late 90s. We stayed at the Intercontinental the first time and then rented some villas at Durrat Al Arus for the rest of the time. Durrat Al Arus is a family/vacation area about 25 minutes north of the airport on the Red Sea coast. We had villas on the golf course so it made playing golf quite easy. Women could even drive around in the community. There is a marina and some shops, but not much else. If I were going to Jeddah I would want to live there. I've spent some time in Saudia City as well. It was pretty run down, but the plus was that a fair number of people made their own alcohol.

There are some nice beach clubs along the coast and the one grass golf course at Durrat Al Arus. The SCUBA diving is good in the Red Sea.

I was offered a long term deal by Saudia to stay, but I couldn't really see living there full time. It is too restrictive for the family. Your wife can't drive to the grocery store, she couldn't take the kids to the beach when you were away. You would have to have a male driver for that. Not the kind of lifestyle I would really like. Better to live in Europe and commute to Jeddah if their schedule allows it.

TP

Netjets Saudi

How is the pay scale?
Does the new Netjets TA include Saudi?
I have heard that their customs are restictive, no alchohol, no butt magazines. So what does a pilot do to keep busy?

Fedmagnet said:
Does the new Netjets TA include Saudi?

No, only pilots on the NJA seniority list are covered by the TA. NJME pilots are not on the NJA seniority list.

NJME Info

I interviewed in Dallas about a week ago. It supposedly takes two weeks or so to hear back. Unfortunately, one of the guys in my group has already been turned down. Not sure about the rest of the guys.

From their presentation, they definitely give the impression it is a professionally-run operation with the expected NetJets emphasis on safety and customer service. Working for NJME, you'll actually be an employee of NAS in Saudi. It's totally separate from US NetJets. I.e. If you want to go over to NetJets proper or NetJets Europe, you have to apply and interview like everyone else.

Compensation apparently varies based upon the individual's qualifications. They say they plug your numbers into a program and it tells them what to pay. Interesting. Pay is tax free in Saudi, but I'm still wary about if it's free from US taxes. Schedule is 35 days on, then 31 days off. Normally, to get the tax exclusion, you have to meet one of two tests--the bona fide resident test or the physical presence test. The physical presence test requires 330 days continuously in country. So, that one is out. Not sure about the bona fide resident test. I'm hoping to talk with some of their US pilots to see how they handle this.

Life Insurance and International Medical (Bupa) is paid for by the company. There's no 401K or retirement plan. It's a 3 year contract. If you leave before that time, you'll owe them a pro-rated sum of the training costs.

Per diem is a flat $100 per day while on your 35 day rotation. However, until you get checked out in Jeddah, it's $50 per day. They pay to fly you (coach) from an international airport in the US to Jeddah and back. When going TO Jeddah, the travel time is deducted from the 35 days. When traveling home FROM Jeddah, that time is part of your 31 days off. Working beyond the 35 days, or reporting early, is sometimes requested. However, we we're told this is not mandatory.

They put you up in a 4-star hotel while on your 35 day rotation. Right now, it's the Le Meridien when you're in Jeddah. I was surprised to learn they will set you up in a compound in a private residence if you want to be based there. However, that changes the whole compensation structure, etc. I don't have the details on that.

They have Hawkers, Falcon 2000s, and Gulfstream IVs. Your experience will determine what they offer you. With my modest time, I was told to expect the Hawker. Upgrades are based upon performance and potential, not seniority.

Right now, they are short of staff. Lots of turnover. They're flying A LOT right now. Some guys are reportedly hitting their 100 hour max within the 35 days. Outside employment is not prohibited, but is discouraged and must be approved by NAS. I think this has to do with not timing out.

NAS follows the US FARs to the letter.

Recurrent and other training will be scheduled during your 31 days off. However, expenses and per diem will be paid.

As far as the interview, the VP of Int'l Flight Ops was there from SC, as well as the Director of Ops from NAS, and another management person from Saudi. Everyone was extremely professional and cordial. Very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Lots of time to visit with your comrades between the panel interviews and sim. You'll be partnered up with another candidate for the sim and fly in both seats. Takes about 1.5 hours for the sim for each pair. We were supposed to have simmed in the G100, but is was down for some reason. Ended up using the EMB-145. Profile included TO, holding, engine failure, procedure turn, ILS approach, and landing. They used Beauvais, France as the field...not sure if they change that up.

All in all, a very pleasant experience. This job is obviously not for everyone, but being able to live anywhere you want and have so much time off in a row does have its advantages. If you have any burning questions or issues, feel free to PM and I'll tell you what I know. Good luck.

C17CHS said:
I interviewed in Dallas about a week ago. It supposedly takes two weeks or so to hear back. Unfortunately, one of the guys in my group has already been turned down. Not sure about the rest of the guys.

From their presentation, they definitely give the impression it is a professionally-run operation with the expected NetJets emphasis on safety and customer service. Working for NJME, you'll actually be an employee of NAS in Saudi. It's totally separate from US NetJets. I.e. If you want to go over to NetJets proper or NetJets Europe, you have to apply and interview like everyone else.

Compensation apparently varies based upon the individual's qualifications. They say they plug your numbers into a program and it tells them what to pay. Interesting. Pay is tax free in Saudi, but I'm still wary about if it's free from US taxes. Schedule is 35 days on, then 31 days off. Normally, to get the tax exclusion, you have to meet one of two tests--the bona fide resident test or the physical presence test. The physical presence test requires 330 days continuously in country. So, that one is out. Not sure about the bona fide resident test. I'm hoping to talk with some of their US pilots to see how they handle this.

Life Insurance and International Medical (Bupa) is paid for by the company. There's no 401K or retirement plan. It's a 3 year contract. If you leave before that time, you'll owe them a pro-rated sum of the training costs.

Per diem is a flat $100 per day while on your 35 day rotation. However, until you get checked out in Jeddah, it's $50 per day. They pay to fly you (coach) from an international airport in the US to Jeddah and back. When going TO Jeddah, the travel time is deducted from the 35 days. When traveling home FROM Jeddah, that time is part of your 31 days off. Working beyond the 35 days, or reporting early, is sometimes requested. However, we we're told this is not mandatory.

They put you up in a 4-star hotel while on your 35 day rotation. Right now, it's the Le Meridien when you're in Jeddah. I was surprised to learn they will set you up in a compound in a private residence if you want to be based there. However, that changes the whole compensation structure, etc. I don't have the details on that.

They have Hawkers, Falcon 2000s, and Gulfstream IVs. Your experience will determine what they offer you. With my modest time, I was told to expect the Hawker. Upgrades are based upon performance and potential, not seniority.

Right now, they are short of staff. Lots of turnover. They're flying A LOT right now. Some guys are reportedly hitting their 100 hour max within the 35 days. Outside employment is not prohibited, but is discouraged and must be approved by NAS. I think this has to do with not timing out.

NAS follows the US FARs to the letter.

Recurrent and other training will be scheduled during your 31 days off. However, expenses and per diem will be paid.

As far as the interview, the VP of Int'l Flight Ops was there from SC, as well as the Director of Ops from NAS, and another management person from Saudi. Everyone was extremely professional and cordial. Very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Lots of time to visit with your comrades between the panel interviews and sim. You'll be partnered up with another candidate for the sim and fly in both seats. Takes about 1.5 hours for the sim for each pair. We were supposed to have simmed in the G100, but is was down for some reason. Ended up using the EMB-145. Profile included TO, holding, engine failure, procedure turn, ILS approach, and landing. They used Beauvais, France as the field...not sure if they change that up.

All in all, a very pleasant experience. This job is obviously not for everyone, but being able to live anywhere you want and have so much time off in a row does have its advantages. If you have any burning questions or issues, feel free to PM and I'll tell you what I know. Good luck.

Why would anyone who would qualify for NJA want to work for NJME instead? I have read about NJME on pprune.org (check it out if you haven't already) and nobody paints a positive picture of the organization - NOBODY. I would think that your C-17 time would make you somewhat competitive for NJA. Let us know what you do - good luck!

I did get a NetJets app in the mail and sent it in, only to be told I would not be interviewed at this time. (I'm VERY non-current.) Despite that fact, I've got 3 interviews this week! Something must be going on with corporate hiring if non-current guys like me are getting calls. Interesting.

Latest resources

Back