Netjets Interveiw

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comair Strike of 2001

On the 1st day of the strike around 50 or so new hires where in class (either ground, systems, or sims). These pilots were layed off by the company. ALPA still payed these pilots Strike Pay, even though the company considered them terminated.

Over 250 pilots where on probation during the strike, and not one of them crossed the picket line. And many, many, MANY of them walked in circles for 89 days. There were no probationary pilots asked, forced or otherwised made to operate Comair aircraft during the strike.

wolfpackpilot said:
Comair Strike of 2001

On the 1st day of the strike around 50 or so new hires where in class (either ground, systems, or sims). These pilots were layed off by the company. ALPA still payed these pilots Strike Pay, even though the company considered them terminated.
Did any of them get their jobs back?

Over 250 pilots where on probation during the strike, and not one of them crossed the picket line. And many, many, MANY of them walked in circles for 89 days. There were no probationary pilots asked, forced or otherwised made to operate Comair aircraft during the strike.
Did any of them get fired? If so, did they get their jobs back?

Initially, CMR terminated the newbies and probies, but part of the back-to-work agreement was that they had to "re-hire" all those probies/trainees.

I would imagine that should there be a job action at NJA, the union won't hang the newbies out to dry...

Is the NJA pilot contract/collective bargaining bound by the same rules that FAR 121 airlines are (Railway Labor Act - RLA)?

Thanks,

METARMan

Also on the topic of a potential strike... Is there not quite a bit of excess jet charter capacity out there that the company could and would at least try to use to cover their flying, as well as tons of cash to use for that if need be? Just wondering how hard-ball things will get.

Metar - Yes.

sky - We have numerous times in the past year exhausted all available contract flights along with the flights we have flown. The answer to your question is no, there is not enough excess charter jet traffic to replace us if we were to walk out.

Not even close to enough charger to make up the flying. The thing is the companies we use for venders have to be approved and I believe most have to be Wyvern apporved as well.

Also, given the recent charter accidents the owners are not to keen on flying on a vendor aircraft. Although their contract stipulates the company has a right to replace an NJA aircraft with that of a vendor many owners are refusing and complaining.

Owners buy into NJA for many reasons and one is safety. A solid safety record is one area an NJA pilot can be quite proud of.

800 Driver said:
Don't let them (interviewers)sell you anything else, and besides being poorly paid you might be asked to strike while on probation. Lots to think about, good luck.

"I sincerely hope that you are not even suggesting the notion that probationary crew members would be asked to participate in a strike.

As a previous mid-level captain at another airline, I would NEVER have asked our probationary pilots to walk a line. Why not do what Comair did a few years ago and allow the probationary pilots to go to work while all others walked the line. This way your probationary pilots don't get fired, which the company would do, and still very few flights (if any) would operate.[/QUOTE]"

Well 800 Driver, I would fully expect all union pilots to participate in a strike if asked to. Regardless of probation status, the CBA clearly states we are not required to enter upon any property involved in a labor dispute, picket line etc. including OUR OWN. Read the contract, it's not considered a violation and SHALL NOT be cause for discharge or disciplinary action.

If you go to work for NJA, be prepared to walk.

Last edited:
Live4flyng said:
[/i]
I sincerely hope that you are not even suggesting the notion that probationary crew members would be asked to participate in a strike.

Of course Probationary Pilots must strike.

Last 2 sentences are mine. The quote got screwed up.

Latest resources

Back