• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets and Safety?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
naa. not attacking the regional airlines... althought that particular case is an outrage!!

There are many different companies that hire low time when there are more experienced pilots out there. This stuff has always gone on.

And yeah... many different things the flying public doesnt realize... like crew rest

Showtime said:
I have a friend who is interested in buying a share of an airplane at Netjets. His main concern is safety. For those of you that work there, would you put your family on a NJ plane in bad WX with a random NJ crew flying?

Any comments appreciated.

-Dave
From my understanding, in Frax, you still have a good chance of flying on a non-NJ, FO, FX, CS operated charter. The charter company used by Ebersol, for example, has operated for all the major Frax companies at some point and time. There is no real guarantee. Also, what about the age of some of the planes, vis a vis, no TCAS II or EGPWS, et al on the entire particular fleet? As an owner, I'd be a bit miffed if a charter shows up or a plane that didn't have "my" equipment/pilots on board.

rajflyboy said:
Flight hours in a log book don't mean that much! But I will certainly take a guy with 2500 (500 Multi and an ATP) over a CRJ or ERJ FO from San Juan college with 350 hours as my first officer. If the flying public only new about some of the crap that goes on with pilot hiring.

At least everyone at NETJETS has basic pilot qualifications
Well most people with 2500 (500multi and an ATP) as you put don't want to work for poverty wages. Oh wait a minute we still do at the fractionals too. We just start at the higher end of poverty instead at the low end.

I don't think I would hesitate putting my family on any of the bigger fractionals.

miles otoole said:
From my understanding, in Frax, you still have a good chance of flying on a non-NJ, FO, FX, CS operated charter. The charter company used by Ebersol, for example, has operated for all the major Frax companies at some point and time. There is no real guarantee.

Well, I can't speak for the other companies (though I am sure they have their own policies), but at Flexjet the owners contracts ARE guaranteed to have a charter rate of less than 5% for the total hours flown. I'm not saying it never happens, but it is kept to an absolute minimum per contractual obligations. Aside from that, we lose money on charters, we have no motivation to charter a trip except as a last resort. The charter companies we do use are a handful of select charter outfits that have been audited for safety and reliability, usually through
SkyJet. The owners don't like it, and we don't want to do it.

miles otoole said:
From my understanding, in Frax, you still have a good chance of flying on a non-NJ, FO, FX, CS operated charter. The charter company used by Ebersol, for example, has operated for all the major Frax companies at some point and time. There is no real guarantee.
NJA owners can write in their contracts that they WILL NOT accept anything but a QS plane.

HD

Hawk Driver said:
NJA owners can write in their contracts that they WILL NOT accept anything but a QS plane.

HD
Which owners? The one's who specifically ask for it? What if all owners ask for it?
I guess what I am trying to understand is how the model can work without charter?

miles otoole said:
Which owners? The one's who specifically ask for it? What if all owners ask for it?
I guess what I am trying to understand is how the model can work without charter?
Any owner can request it. If all the owners ask for it they will be delayed in leaving and will probably not get the airplane of choice. I don't know but I would assume some sort of credit would be issued to the owner if they didn't get their type of plane if it is a downgrade.

HD

Showtime said:
I have a friend who is interested in buying a share of an airplane at Netjets. His main concern is safety. For those of you that work there, would you put your family on a NJ plane in bad WX with a random NJ crew flying?

Any comments appreciated.

-Dave
Yes. Have done it before. Would do it again.

Based on some of the replies in this thread...I would be hesitant to put my family on ANY fractional airplane...it seems some of the pilots egos are way larger than their skill set.

Of course, we all know these are the very vocal minority....or, at least, we hope...

I hope I'm not the one with the big ego on this thread. I'm just reporting what I see, and I increasing amounts of bravado and arrogance without the skills and decision-making to back it up. Humbleness and class seem to be dying trait in this business. And no, I never thought I was arrogant and always treated my crewmembers the way I wished to be treated.

I think the edge in safety will go with the company that has the better system to dispatch, train, and maintain the aircraft. I don't see Flex and CS much, but I suspect that NJ and Flops are going in opposite directions, with the edge going to NJ. I would not get on any radomly selected charter operator, safety audit or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back