Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greedypilot

Obama-nation
I'd like to work for NetJets in the future, but I have an issue in my past that might make it difficult. I was fired by my employer (part 91) 4 years ago. I had an employment contract and left 2 months prior to its full term. I resigned, but the company refused to accept it and fired me on the spot. I am sure they will tell NetJets that I was fired and not eligible for rehire.

Since then I have worked for a different company (part 121) without incident.

Is this mistake in my past going to prevent me from getting on at NetJets?

Last edited:
The only info your former company can disclose is that you did indeed work there, and the time frame worked there.

They have talked very poorly of me the past 2 times they were asked about me. They are not afraid of me taking legal action against them, as they allegedly already have a counter-suit in the works for loss of profit, cost of training, blah blah blah..

By saying that I was fired, broke my contract, and am not eligible for rehire, they are simply exposing themselves to a civil suit

Honesty is the always the best policy at NETJETS. How did you get hired at your 121 operator? I agree that you should get legal advice in reference to what they are legally allowed to express in relation to your past employment. I'm under the impression that they can only inform someone of your date of hire and how long you worked there. It is my understanding that it is illegal to express anything other than just that. Talk to a personal injury attorney specializing in slander. Good luck

Honesty is the always the best policy at NETJETS. How did you get hired at your 121 operator?

Prior to my 121 interview, I was unaware that they fired me. As far as I knew, I had resigned and they declined my services from that date forward. So during class, I got a call from the CP regarding the issue. He said one of my previous employers was talking pretty poorly of me and wanted to hear my side of the story.

I told him the whole story; good, bad, and ugly. After some discussion he told me that he felt I wasn't totally truthful and forthcoming during my interview. In the end, they allowed me to continue with class and it was never brought up again.

Honesty is the always the best policy at NETJETS. How did you get hired at your 121 operator?

Prior to my 121 interview, I was unaware that they fired me. As far as I knew, I had resigned and they declined my services from that date forward. So during class, I got a call from the CP regarding the issue. He said one of my previous employers was talking pretty poorly of me and wanted to hear my side of the story.

I told him the whole story; good, bad, and ugly. After some discussion he told me that he felt I wasn't totally truthful and forthcoming during my interview. In the end, they allowed me to continue with class and it was never brought up again.

Greedypilot - do you have anyone at NJA who could vouch for you and put in a letter of rec or call the recruiters on your behalf? That might help to mitigate the Part 91 job history.

I would mention it, sounds like the previous job will let NetJets know if you don't. I would rather that Netjets not be surprised about anything like that, if they think you hid it from them, I would think the job offer would be recinded.

I don't think it's a big deal anyway, you left your former company when you had to for a better job, I'm sure most of us have done that as well. You gave them their time, you only had 2 months left on the training contract, it's not like you got a type rating and left right away. Not accepting your resignation and working out the prorated payment on your training contract issue shows how bad that company is, not you.

Once you tell them how you were "fired" it should be a nonissue, they will see it as one of the scummy things some of these aviation companies do, it is probably not the first time they have come across this situation.

This reminds me of when Great Lakes laid pilots off, the pilots found other pilot jobs for more money, then Great Lakes went after them when they refused recall for the training contract costs.....

Anyway, good luck on your interview! It's a great company to work for, I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
It is illegal for a former employer to purposefully give false information for the sake of harming one's reputation or preventing one from obtaining employment

http://www.references-etc.com/zipping_the_lips_of_a_former_employer.html

---

Question:
If my employment references are bad, what can I do?

Answer:
A bad employment reference can be strategically dealt with depending on what is actually being said and to what degree things are explained. You need to first determine what is being said before you can develop an appropriate strategy. Depending on what the research reveals as well as the laws within your state, you may be able to take legal action.

article

----

For applicants who are having difficulty finding a job and suspect that a previous employer is giving a bad reference, it may be helpful to think through the lack of success in more detail. There may be other difficulties involved, especially since firms are often hesitant to say anything negative. However, job applicants who are concerned should contact a labor lawyer to review their rights.
Article

--

Listen(read) this very carefully! You need to go to a lawyer(s)! ASAP. Don't screw around with stuff like this. We're talking about your career here. Which affects your whole life. It's great that you have a current employer that saw through your past "mistake" and whatever b/s the part 91 operator told them.

I'd like to work for NetJets in the future, but I have an issue in my past that might make it difficult. I was fired by my employer (part 91) 4 years ago. I had an employment contract and left 2 months prior to its full term. I resigned, but the company refused to accept it and fired me on the spot. I am sure they will tell NetJets that I was fired and not eligible for rehire.

Did you write a dated letter of resignation and deliver it to the company? If you did and have some way of verifying this - then the statement at the very top applies to you.

Since then I have worked for a different company (part 121) without incident.

I would gather many would say a positive Part 121 employer reference trumps a crappy Part 91 negative one.

Is this mistake in my past going to prevent me from getting on at NetJets?

Pucka couldn't have said it any better. Honesty is the only way to go. Tell your side of it and that's all. "Just the facts mame!"

They have talked very poorly of me the past 2 times they were asked about me. They are not afraid of me taking legal action against them, as they allegedly already have a counter-suit in the works for loss of profit, cost of training, blah blah blah..

One word Greedy.. DOCUMENTATION! Document everything! When you wrote your letter of resignation. When did you delivered it? How you deliver it. Who talked poorly of you. Names, dates, times, witnesses.....everything!

By saying that I was fired, broke my contract, and am not eligible for rehire, they are simply exposing themselves to a civil suit

They are counting on the fact that 99.9 % of people don't do sqaut about. If this truely has the potential to be harmful (their negative comments and references) then don't be a sheep. Be a lion and bite back.

Again...DOCUMENTATION! Get a copy of your employee file from the Part 91 operator. What ever they have. Send a formal request certified mail. If they don't want to give it to you, document that.

If you do get and interview at NJ then explain it the way it happened. If you truley did not know you were termination, state that. Don't bullsh$t. HR people teamed up with pilots can smell bullsh$t a hundred miles away.

I would suggest writing a letter to the Part 91 operator that you are aware of the negative references and comments and that you insist the refrain from that immediatley.

It sounds like you are looking to move from this 121 job and onto something in the future. This is something not to be messed with.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back