Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjet average duty day and flight time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

Im just wondering what the average duty is for you guys? Some people say 12 hours a day. Thats seems pretty brutal if youre doing it 7 days in a row. How many hours do you fly a month? I know at my regional I fly 90hrs a month. Way too much!

Anything is possible. Early shows, late shows, combination of each.

Show from home, 14 hour days... anything in between.

YOU are the judge of what is too much. At any time a pilot can call in fatigued with NO fear of discipline.

Call a time out if you are feeling a little rough. no harm, no foul.

This tour has been a bit busy leg wise for me personally but my duty time has not exceeded 12 hour per day. 14-16 hour layovers so far.

Like I said... it varies.

Im just wondering what the average duty is for you guys? Some people say 12 hours a day. Thats seems pretty brutal if youre doing it 7 days in a row.

It varies, but 10-12 hours is pretty typical. I will say this: I feel much less exhausted at the end of a 7-day tour here than I did at the end of a 4-day at my previous regional.

A lot of factors play into that: better rest because of better hotels, longer rest because 10 hours in the min, not 8, longer turn times (1 hour is the normal min turn, no 15 mins), real food instead of food court crap, and so on.

Keep in mind, too, that half or all of the first and last day are often spent just riding on airliners getting to and from our planes. Yeah, airline travel is taxing, too, but it's less demanding than actually flying.

Further, some of our job involves being available for a trip, in case a flight pops up, or another airplane breaks. Many duty days include a few hours at an FBO not doing much. So you can recuperate in front of a nice plasma TV eating lunch. That helps too. ;)

Having crews spread out and available is part of how we're able to recover a trip for our clients so quickly after a mechanical issue. I had one last tour that involved diverting to another airport on short notice. There was another NetJets plane taxiing into the FBO to take our passengers 30 minutes after we landed.

If you're curious about some numbers, I'm in the Excel, one of our busiest fleets. In the past 11 months, I've averaged 41 hours of flying per month. Of the 145 duty days I've had in that period, 29 were less than 8 hours, 74 were between 9 and 11 hours, 33 were 12 to 14 hours, and 9 were over 14 hours. (That's as detailed as the summary part of our online report gets, unfortunately.)

I will say that, of those days that were 12-14 hours, my days were usually something on the order of 12.5 hours. (That includes time closing up the airplane, etc.)

Latest resources

Back