• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netbook laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just got the Acer Aspire for my wife for $299 at Costco. It looks just like the one in the link you posted. The battery only lasts about 2.5 hours on it.
I was curious about how you could watch movies on the thing and used our home computer and home network to copy a DVD movie onto the harddrive. It took about 20 minutes to decrypt the DVD using shareware software, then about 20 more minutes to copy to the harddrive over the 100mbps wired network we have. Pretty cool. I think I'll get one for my next laptop and do that or just get an external DVD for movies on the road.

Another plug for the NC-10. I'm typing on it now. You will appreciate the extra keyboard and display real estate you get over the 8.9" units like the Acer. It's my only PC; I just replaced a Dell Laptop from 2003.

Look at all the positive reviews on Amazon. A lot of people like the Wind too; I never tried it. Keep in mind, though, that not only do netbooks not have DVD-ROM drives, they have relatively small Atom processors and no dedicated graphics chip. You can download and watch movies, just forget about them playing smoothly on the full screen.

Another plug for the NC-10. I'm typing on it now. You will appreciate the extra keyboard and display real estate you get over the 8.9" units like the Acer. It's my only PC; I just replaced a Dell Laptop from 2003.

Look at all the positive reviews on Amazon. A lot of people like the Wind too; I never tried it. Keep in mind, though, that not only do netbooks not have DVD-ROM drives, they have relatively small Atom processors and no dedicated graphics chip. You can download and watch movies, just forget about them playing smoothly on the full screen.

DVD shrink is free and works great
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

After you shrink it to a file copy it to your hard drive on the netbook and open with dvd shrink and dvd quality in full screen

I have a EEE 1000HA and its the best thing ever. Thought I would miss having a DVD drive but its very easy to burn movies to the HD. The battery life on the 6 cell model is nothing short of amazing. I can do about 6 hours surfing the web with the wireless or almost 7 if I have it turned off and am watching movies. The best part is the size and weight - I hardly even know I am carrying it. And as an added bonus its cheap so if something happens to it it can be replaced. $380 from amazon.

I've got the msi wind with a 9 cell battery. The wind has a super bright 10" screen and has worked great for me.

Hey JTF,
I've been thinking about buying the 9 cell battery. How does it affect the balance of the computer. I know it's bigger & heavier so does it make the laptop rock backwards?

Latest resources

Back