Net Jet Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

This is just out of curiosity more than anything else. I am trying to establish a payscale for my small flight department. I am trying to think outside the box instead of following the norm. I noticed (WFFF) that your reserve pilots salary is more than the normal and can't figure out why. I won't be needing any reserve pilot's but I am curious as to why a reserve pilot gets more. I gues my first question should be, what is a reserve pilot and what's his/her schedule like that makes them different?

2 major reasons why Reserve guys make more is:

1) They can work up to 18 days a month as opposed to 14

and

2) Their schedule for any given month isn't known until the 15th of the previous month. Makes family and personal planning a bit more difficult.

I'm sure there are a ton more reasons which the great minds of this board will point out.

They are paid the same daily rate as the 7-7 pilots. 7-7 pilots are paid for 182 days/year, and the reserve pilots are paid for 216 (18 days/month). They don't always work all 18 days/month, though, so in effect their daily rate is higher. Which I guess makes up for the uncertainty of the schedule.

Your schedule is never known for sure on reserve, even after the 15th of the preceding month. It is always subject to change, just limited by the 7 day maximum tour length and your hard days off (2 pair per month.)

Reserve is bad name. It really means FLEXIBLE schedule instead of a fixed schedule of duty days.

Reserve pilots are not paid more.

7/7 pilots are paid LESS...

...because they cant be contacted on their off days and can ONLY work the days they are scheduled.

Reserve pilots can be contacted EVERY DAY except for 4 HARD days off per month.

Just a guess ... You probably DONT need 7/7 pilots. You need ONLY reserve pilots. This is probably more like the scheduling of a small flight department.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I know I don't need reserve guys, I just didn't know what they were. I keep forgetting that you guys are just like an airline with the number of pilots and aircraft you have.
Thanks again.

I have to state the obvious

Why do the reserve guys get a higher check than the 7&7 guys?

Because the contract says so...

Your schedule is never known for sure on reserve, even after the 15th of the preceding month. It is always subject to change, just limited by the 7 day maximum tour length and your hard days off (2 pair per month.)

On reserve you get two pairs of "hard days off" (4 days total) You bid for these days by the tenth of the month prior. Once these are awarded they are set in stone and can not change. You will have these 4 days off the next month.

The rest of the schedule is built arround the hard days and is tenative. It can be altered but stays roughly as planned. This last month I was only scheduled for 16 days. I still had one week off stretch and the shortest was 3 or 4 days off. I also had 5 show at home days (days I got paid for but they didn't use me and got to stay home).:pimp:

You can also volunteer to extend. You end up burning a day off but get paid time and a half for that day. Because it is the last day odds are pretty good all you will do is airline home and get paid extra to do it.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back