Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nolife

Tired Member
My wife and I are expecting our first baby and while it's very exciting for us I've noticed that lately I'm antsy and sometimes nervous flying in and near bad weather. It never used to bother me this much before.

Now I scrutinize the weather more, request larger deviations, worry about mx even though I know the company's mx is great, and generally think about anything that can go wrong; much more so than before.

I've heard from other guys that this is normal for people expecting their first kid. They say you become more conservative. Any of you fathers felt this way and how did you deal with it?

Cure yourself-buy a Pitts. You don't want your boy growin' up thinking his old man is a pu$$y now do ya?

Disregard the above statement if that A-26 is yours.

ps On a more serious note, congrats on the bun in the oven.

NB

I think it is only a natural reaction. When my first was born, I was still trying to get into the flying business, so I was working EMS in a major FL city.

Now, try to imagine the thoughts that got through your head when you are working car crashes, drownings, shootings, etc., and thinking about being around for your child . . . . or, even worse, treating small children and hoping to God that this same thing never happens to your child . . . well, put in that perspective, flying along in a jet airplane seems pretty d@mn safe. How about those servicemen and women overseas right now, in harm's way? Imagine how they feel.

Not to minimize your feelings, but at least no one's shooting at you. Fly safe, quit worrying, enjoy the new arrival.

Regards,

TW

Last edited:
don't have much experience with the aviation-related question here, but my niece is 4 months old and i have a nephew due in a few weeks. i just spent a week in NC with my niece and i am going through withdrawl right now. she was so much fun to be around!!! so talkative. and i cannot think of something cooler than putting my mouth on my sister's stomach, making a long, low note with my voice, and repeatedly getting kicked in the face by my unborn nephew. congrats with the soon-to-be little one, and cherish the time you have with him/her!!!! don't take unneccesary risks when flying, and i think that you'll be ok.

you're normal

Nolife said:
My wife and I are expecting our first baby and while it's very exciting for us I've noticed that lately I'm antsy and sometimes nervous flying in and near bad weather. It never used to bother me this much before.

Now I scrutinize the weather more, request larger deviations, worry about mx even though I know the company's mx is great, and generally think about anything that can go wrong; much more so than before.

I've heard from other guys that this is normal for people expecting their first kid. They say you become more conservative. Any of you fathers felt this way and how did you deal with it?

Yep, you're normal.

I commented in the GPS thread a few days ago that I won't fly my wife/children in a cloud w/o a good autopilot, G430, Sandel, and Avidyne (with wx downlink) all up and running.

I'll add one more thing to this thread....my destination has to be 1000' ceiling with improving conditions before I takeoff and I'm monitoring the wx along the way (Avidyne).

If it's really bad and I have to be there...I'll fly airlines and not feel bad about it. I've had enough close calls that weren't bad judgement calls for one lifetime.

First off, congrats on your new edition to the family, it's very exciting and extremely rewarding (as you will soon find out);) .

I've seen this behavior with many pilots who are welcoming a new-born aboard. It's very normal, it puts things in perspective and you realize the "real" important aspects of life. I just became a double uncle and I tell you that I tend to be more careful with my decision making. I say continue how you are, enjoy your job, and just enjoy what pure joy youngsters bring!!!!

I've been married 20 years. I've got a 16 year old daughter and a 7 year old son.

Now, I never deviate around thunderstorms or even look at the weather before I go. I don't offset a mile to the right when flying in uncontrolled airspace in S.A. or India. In fact, I don't even check the oil anymore...

You'll get over your case of nerves. It comes with the sleep deprivation you get in the next few months. ;)

Congrats. It will change your life for the better.TC

Old Lady (to Ted Stryker): "Nervous?"

Ted Stryker: "Yes"

Old Lady: "First time?"

Ted Stryker: "No, I've been nervous lots of times".

Congrats on the coming addition. Mine is just a little over three months right now, so I know exactly how you feel. I think I have become more conservative since my little boy arrived. It also finally got me to put a good life insurance in place. I do wish you good luck in trying to stay awake the first couple of months flying after the birth. I got lucky and changed aircraft and had a guy ridding with me the first 50 hours. That helped out a lot.

Again congrats. The birth of your first child will redefine the meaning of love.

Latest resources

Back