• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Negative altitude indication

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Has anyone ever flown below sea level, and did you see a negative indication on the altimeter???

Last edited:

Immelman

Total Time
...if you turn the baro pressure adjustment far enough you'll see it wind below zero; same thing happens when below sea level!

viper548

Total Time
I live slighly above sea level. I've gotten in planes that haven't flown for a couple days and the altimeter read below sea level because of the pressure changing.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
You'll probably be able to add KMSY after today.

mar

Remember this one?
Total Time
Amsterdam

Minus 12 (I think).

JimG

Total Time
midlifeflyer said:
Yup. KTRM, ele -114

Yep. I was going to mention Thermal, CA as well.

Flew in there many times, many years ago. Great airport...loooong runway.

The FBO used to be LaQuinta Resort, or they were closely affiliated with the resort.

I'd fly customers in early in the morning, play 18 holes of golf and be home in time for dinner.

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
Total Time
Re: the second part of the question....

Analog altimeters don't have any special indication for below sea level. The needle just keeps on going below zero feet and begins reading in reverse.
On glass cockpit aircraft, there's usually an indication that you're on the backside of the altitude scale. On my plane, a yellow "NEG" tag will appear at the bottom of the altitude tape.

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
I figure I've got a negative attitude when I quit wearing my hat and don't shine my sh...

What's that? Negative what? Oh.

Never mind... ;) TC

Koslen

Total Time
UnAnswerd said:
Has anyone ever flown below sea level, and did you see a negative indication on the altimeter???
I flew below sea level once but it was hard to see the altimeter with all the water in the cockpit! :rolleyes: