• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Neeleman Brags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"It is a brilliant idea to offer starving pilots a chance at a job where they can eventually be an A-320 Captain making 130K a year. The promise is a fairly quick upgrade for low wages today. Very slick. "

I thought you were talking about MESA there for a minute!!!!!!

RF

EagleRJ said:
By taking on a second aircraft type, he's broken the formula that is a large part of Southwest's success.

Your view of fleet types is very shallow. If you think that Southwest has only one, think again. And if you think that one airplane was a large part of Southwest's success, think again. It was a very small part. Their success was due to smart management, brand loyalty, a good product, and continued good marketing. Some very successful international airlines have several types.

The varied versions of 737s on the property is equal to 2 fleet types. Sure they save some on training, but that's about it. The parts vary quite a bit on the -300 vs. the -700.

Sure I think you have to keep it under control, but adding a new plane, is certainly not a cause for concern. SW is just so strong they can get away with it at this point.

I hope we never make any decisions, "Just because Southwest does it that way". They are a good company, and we watch them closely, but we try to think for ourselves.

DW (JB FO)

On Your Six said:
I think we all agree that SONG has better IFE and more comforatable leather seats (plus good food). Now, if SONG/Delta could only get off its arse and order some 100 seaters itself.... But I guess Delta pilots' unwillingness to get paid the lowest wages in the business wouldn't make the 100 seaters operationally competitive... Whoops!

do you think the DAL pilots are in any postition to negotiate much better than what JB is paying for a 100 seater? If you do, you are kidding yourself. The DAL pilots are not the reason for no new 100 seaters at DAL. Money is the reason. We would fly them for a competitive rate if/when Delta can get em.

EagleRJ said:
Doing this at the same time that the Airbus debt is becoming due is a big gamble. I doubt if JB's profit will look the same in the next few years as it has in the past three.

Now I am not an accountant but....

Whether or not the first part of the sentence is true (or not), you do realize that debt payments (absent interest expense) does not have an effect on the income statement and thus, earnings, right? Now...if the aircraft are leased (versus paid for with debt), totally different story. But remember, earnings (or profit) = revenue minus expenses, and debt payments aren't an expense (except for the interest on those debt payments). And furthermore, positive earnings are great and all but cash flow is what rules in this game and cash flow isn't reported on the income statement.

-Neal

Dogwood said:
Your view of fleet types is very shallow. If you think that Southwest has only one, think again. And if you think that one airplane was a large part of Southwest's success, think again. It was a very small part. Their success was due to smart management, brand loyalty, a good product, and continued good marketing. Some very successful international airlines have several types.

The varied versions of 737s on the property is equal to 2 fleet types. Sure they save some on training, but that's about it. The parts vary quite a bit on the -300 vs. the -700.

Your view of fleet types is in error. We do operate one type, there are significant differences with the -700 and lots of unique parts, but the comonality goes way beyond pilot training and the advantages this provides are huge. I do agree with you that smart management is perhaps THE over riding factor in our success, but one of those smart management desicions was to operate one aircraft type. From the dispatchers to the rampers this fleet comonaltiy simplifies our jobs. When there are challenges to operations it simplifies every aspect of reroutes and changes. We always have the right crews, we always have the right ramp equipment, and we always have the right number of seats (Ok there are 20 some odd 500s, but they are on routes with such high frequency that it doesn't matter).

Saying that "The varied versions of 737s on the property is equal to 2 fleet types" is more than a little stretch ... it is just not true.

All of this can be put to rest at the end of this month when JetBlue reports 2 qtr. results (profits). 3rd and 4th qtr. results will just have to wait.
I can't wait to see the results of the legacy carriers to see if the corner was turned or if they're still in a free fall position. $60+/barrel oil tells me quite a bit about what to expect. Dave N. gets to see the books and trend data and is in the position to make such claims; are you?

B6Driver said:
Dave N. gets to see the books and trend data and is in the position to make such claims; are you?

Yes he does. On the other hand, he could be trying to pump up the stock price one last time before another aircraft type drives the airline into the ground.

If it was bad for the company, why would he allow the acft to ever show up on the property? He's not stupid like the rest of the legacy CEO's.
Come to think of it, I should not of even answered your post. Yours made no sence.
Just sit and wait to see how things turn out for JB. It is possible that this acft may not work as well as planned. Then again, if it works as well as expected, profits will be amazing.

Latest resources

Back